"The Bible in Living English"-1972-Byington/Watchtower--PDF!

by Atlantis 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Thanks, Atlantis, for sharing this with us! And I noticed, not only does it have bookmarks it is also fully searchable. Fabulous!

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I have that Bible on my shelf. Almost certain I obtained it at the literature counter at a circuit assembly. Anybody remember literature counters?

• needproof
    needproof

I also like the companion Bible... does anybody want me to upload that? I am going to regret asking that.

• Mad
    Mad

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

My theory is that after the exchange between the New World Bible Translation Committee (Fred Franz) and Byington that was reported in The Christian Century a sort of friendship developed between the two. Probably at some point Byington gave Franz a copy of his translation. Perhaps Byington mentioned the translation in his will and that's when the Society got publication rights?

It's an interesting translation. All the christological passages that the NWT translates in a Unitarian fashion are translated quite orthodox. Basically, the only real reason I can see that the WT Society published Byington's Bible was because it used "Jehovah" in the Old Testament.

• Terry
    Terry

Lately I've been stocking the shelves at the bookstore in the religion section with bibles.

THE MESSAGE is, by far, the most readable, enjoyable and enlightening read I've ever held in my hands!

This translation is remarkable in transforming the dullest, most commonplace rote-sounding verses into freshly abundant communication of ideas imaginable.

I've found that mainstream KJV readers simply abhor it!

Anybody else tried this translation?

Psalm 23
    A David Psalm
    1-3 God , my shepherd! I don't need a thing.
    You have bedded me down in lush meadows,
    you find me quiet pools to drink from.
    True to your word,
    you let me catch my breath
    and send me in the right direction.
    4 Even when the way goes through
    Death Valley,
    I'm not afraid
    when you walk at my side.
    Your trusty shepherd's crook
    makes me feel secure.

5 You serve me a six-course dinner
    right in front of my enemies.
    You revive my drooping head;
    my cup brims with blessing.

6 Your beauty and love chase after me
    every day of my life.
    I'm back home in the house of God
    for the rest of my life.
  • garybuss
    garybuss

Basically the only reason I see why they published it (or any other book) is to have something to print and distribute to collect revenue. They also printed Benjamin Wilson's Diaglott for years and many of those were sold to the Bible Students (aka, evil slave).

The Watch Tower Corporation is a publishing and printing business that expanded into multi-media, real estate development, and event sponsoring. Their current model is funded by soliciting donations, and direct cash sales of real estate.

• Terry
    Terry
    Basically the only reason I see why they published it (or any other book) is to have something to print and distribute to collect revenue. They also printed Benjamin Wilson's Diaglott for years and many of those were sold to the Bible Students (aka, evil slave).

The Watch Tower Corporation is a publishing and printing business that expanded into multi-media, real estate development, and event sponsoring. Their current model is funded by soliciting donations, and direct cash sales of real estate.

Salesmen always have Quotas!

JW's have quotas.

You simply must "place" (i.e. sell) so many magazines and books/bibles to be considered a worthwhile human being in the Kingdom Hall.

We were all Avon salesmen without a pink cadillac!

The tripe we delivered to the doors we actually called "literature"!! LITERATURE?? How our minds were bent!

I can vividly recall when the little green bible was released. The hoopla went on for months and months! The Ministry School was geared toward making efficient salesmen of us all. We practiced demonstrating the superiority of the NWT over the KJV over and over again.

I do believe it was because of the success of the so-called translation into modern english (NWT) that all the subsequent non KJV versions began to appear.

The clergy and christendom in general was very very slow to respond in any meaningful way. The JW's caught them napping on this one.

Today there is no excuse for any householder (who cares) not to be armed with rebuttal.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I had one of those Bibles. I was the Lit Servant at the time and we had this uncollected order. Nobody wanted it so I bought to take it off the stock list. As far as I remember, we only used because it used the name Jehovah. It gave some support to the NWT to have another translation using the name too. This was interesting.

http://www.gbgm-umc.org/ballardvale/byington1.htm

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

ninja:

cabasilas: Yes, I forgot to mention that the file was "searchable" so thanks for the reminder!

Bonnie_Clyde:

needproof: By all means, upload that Bible. We will be glad to get it!

Mad:

Terry:

garubuss:

BluesBrother:

Thank you all for your comments!

Judging from above, I may need to pick up some more ale to go around!

http://www.wlra.us/wl/wlsixpak.htm And we can't forget Bar-B-Que!

Cheers! Atlantis-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit