30 years later I've grown a beard again

by wozadummy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

This is one thing that bugged me about "THE LIE" ,when they came down hard on men who had grown facial hair in the 8o's ( and womens adornment,clothes etc)

A MS at the time had a beard and grizzled about shaving it off but did after the talk at the assembly, he's an elder now but I wonder whether he chafes a bit at the taking away of ones personal freedom to grow something that God gave us men.

I never grew one when a JW for I was a drone I guess ,but with alot of small things over the years this did irritate me and seemed just a way the Gov Body controlled our lives by taking away a natural thing in life .It's not like men would have beaded,braided or let it grow to look like a feral and be unclean and untidy.

And we have Paul saying in 1 Cor 10 that he became all things to others to gain them to Christ - well what about beards ? is there anything more natural? In Jesus time the fashion for Romans was to shave but there's no records of all Christians shaving, and then we have the 20th century starting with the JW leaders bearded and then it becomes fashionable amongst ordinary men to shave , so what does the Society do? it adopts this fashionable worldly model of the American business type and wants all men to shave.

"And brother your spirituality is in question ,and you cannot have privileges for you are wearing a beard which is a symbol of rebellion and how do you think brother it would be to householders if we went to their doors bearded?"

Well shit I reckon they might listen as they can see we are normal people instead of an American religious/business model walking around up in the sky with God looking down on the trashy demonic people of the land!

Well I grew one not to thumb it in the nose of JW's but to express my natural being becoming relaxed gradually after leaving that cult!

Hell it's gray now though ,when it used to be lustrous black , but hey it seems to belong to me and echos the passing years ,and do you know what? people don't treat me any different than before and my wife loves it!

• Carmel
    Carmel

Hit the Hena! carmel

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

I enjoyed your Topic and Post. Real funny near the end.

Witnesses don't show that side of the rules and regs to newbies or "studies" atleast I don't think so, not until your mind is somewhat trapped.

Then they can hit you with WTS rules like that, and you're more likely to go along with it.

They know if they told you up front, as a prospect...you'd run like hell!

I'd love to hear from someone here who was confronted right off the bat, that you had to shave your facial hair. Please post if it happened to you. Want to know how you felt and what you did about it.

Thanks!

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Welcome to the club!

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

When I moved to Texas in the 90's, I was stunned to see a brother(elder) with a beard walking to the platform to give a big service meeting part. I learned that he cannot shave due to medical reasons.

• penny2
    penny2

Good on you, wozadummy! You are free again.

people don't treat me any different than before

Having a beard is a non-event (except in the kingdom hall). Politicians, ministers of religion, bank managers - men from all walks of life can have beards and no-one takes any notice.

You choose to grow a beard and your wife loves it. That's all that matters.

penny2

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

While we were still in my hubby would grow a beard every chance he got (vacations etc). We also had atleast two portraits done when he had his beard. He could never understand what the big fuss over it was.

BB

• carla
    carla

I like beards now, especially because I know there is a 99% chance the guy is not a jw!

• juni
    juni
    Hell it's gray now though ,when it used to be lustrous black

Be proud of your gray hair woza! It's still becoming.

Juni

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

When i figure how to upload a picture I'll upload a stunning portrait !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit