It never ceases to amaze me....

by EnlightenedMind 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• EnlightenedMind
    EnlightenedMind

I just came from my mom's house, where my sister was in from out of town. My sister tells my mom that at her meeting this morning, they announced that while JWs are out and about in their DC cities, they are not to wear jeans, shorts, or t-shirts, so as to "stand out as different." (Guess the full-body placard reading, "WE ARE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES" would've been a little over-the-top, eh?)

My mom responded that she hadn't heard that yet. My sister just says, "This is the first time they've said this." I really, really, really wanted to comment about it, but although I'm DF, my family doesn't know that I'm what they define as apostate, and I'm afriad they might be forced into shunning me "properly" if they ever found out. (They don't shun me now).

I couldn't tell what my sister thought about this, because of course she wasn't going to voice it if she had any contentions about it. It just amazes me that two otherwise independent women would put up with this kind of nonesense. Neither my mom nor my sister would stand for it if their own husbands tried to tell them how to dress. I have suspicions that many in my family just go through the motions so as not to rock the boat, so that could be one explanation.

It's one thing to set a dress code for your convention, but to tell people how to dress while they are going about their daily lives, doing nothing related to the organization, is just too audacious. They even go so far as to outlaw specific items of clothing, instead of just saying something broad like "dress modestly." (although IMO it's going too far to ever tell grown people how to dress). It's a total usurpation of personal judgment and free-thinking, and it just disgusts me!

• restrangled
    restrangled
    It just amazes me that two otherwise independent women would put up with this kind of nonesense. Neither my mom nor my sister would stand for it if their own husbands tried to tell them how to dress

Enlightened Mind....those two sentences say it all....if the same admonition comes from the hubby he is rightfully labeled a "control freak" ...if it comes from the WTS it is seen as incredible pearls of wisdom from the self appointed fashion Gods in Brooklyn.

r's hubby

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I love this. The Governing Body continues to further alienate each new generation with it's out-of-touch policies.

They'll be laughed at by most Bethelites and 95% of publishers under the age of 25.

The slow death of JWism is coming from the inside.

Nvr

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

It makes me want to wear a nice short-waisted baby doll t-shirt and my silly pants - (that low-waisted, ass-showing pair of denims) - with my nice new floral thong to the KH and bend over a lot to pick up imaginary fuzzles off the floor. I think I should attach a gigantic Darwin EVOLVE fish charm to the top of the thong, right at the top of my dainty butt crack.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw
    It makes me want to wear a nice short-waisted baby doll t-shirt and my silly pants - (that low-waisted, ass-showing pair of denims) - with my nice new floral thong to the KH and bend over a lot to pick up imaginary fuzzles off the floor. I think I should attach a gigantic Darwin EVOLVE fish charm to the top of the thong, right at the top of my dainty butt crack.

LMAO, ROFL at madame Q

nj

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

...that I ever bought into such a complete load of crap.

Ah well, (sh)it happens.

• compound complex
    compound complex

The GB says it's to praise Jah, but my first thought was how "all the worshipers of Baal" were dressed in their garments of identification prior to their slaughter. [2 Kings 10:21, 22] Why is the Society so obsessed with uniformity vis-a-vis ready identification of the Witnesses? All the better to round them up? It worked for Jehu - he had a crafty plan. Sounds pretty fishy to me.

CoCo

• magoo
    magoo

.................madame q......uhhh......which kingdom hall will you be doing this at.....i would love to see this......

magoo

• jgnat
    jgnat

At the one-day assembly last year, our Bethelite visitor condemned slogan clothing. So I guess our Dog T-shirt and Trading Spaces button-down are out.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

When JW's go out for dinner after the convention, many of them will go to restaurants that serve alcohol, and alot of them will drink. Should they too be required to wear convention badges and dress up?

You know what I think would be funny? If a bunch of JW's went to Hooters for dinner after the sessions, and wore their JW nametags, Im sure the society would love for that to happen--Not!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit