Questions concerning world events!

by Lollylou 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Lollylou
    Lollylou

As someone who was once associated with the WT (over 30 years) I have to say I am in a quandary. With world events shaping up as they are I keep reflecting on many things I learned as a JW and some of the pieces fit together. However, the many things I have learned about the organization upon chosing to leave have me stumped.
    How can an organization put out teachings about the "Scarlet Colored Wild Beast", apply it to the UN and yet be a NGO of that organization?
    How can an organization allow members of it to be so brutally persecuted in some lands for not carrying a government card, and yet in another country say it is okay to do just that to avoid "brothers" having problems?
    How can the same organization that says it is Christian and yet treat some of their members so unchristian?
    The list goes on and on.
    Yet how can they have so much reasonable truth when it comes to explaining basic bible teachings?
    I have seen the good and was totally devoted for so long. But now I have seen the bad, perhaps the worst and can't get balanced.
    I need a voice of reason! Is there any out there?
    I have thought about calling a one time witness friend to discuss this, but I am sure their main thing will be to just get me to come back and before I do anything I need some answers!
    Help! Lollylou

• AlanF
    AlanF

Every religion has some good things and some bad things. That's all you're seeing here.

To a lot of people, myself included, the bad in the JWs far outweighs the good. They break up families, cause untold emotional misery and even kill people through their ridiculous, misguided and unscriptural policies. Experience shows that most people don't admit how much bad there is until they've been out for awhile. Once you know about the bad, it's almost impossible to ignore it.

AlanF

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Who said the JW's have reasonable truth when it comes to explaining basic bible teachings? They don't. They have a wholly unique and wrong approach to bible scholarship and interpretation. It's thier "basic bible teaching" that reasonably teaches that Christ returned in 1914 ( or was it 1874, or [fill in a date]). It's this same reasonable understanding which says only 144,000 should partake of the emblems of the memorial when Christ said "Take this ALL OF YOU, and eat it".
    Don't call the friend.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Yea, I have to echo the fact that if you still beleive that the JWs are the 'only ones' who are 'close to the truth' then you have yet to do enough of YOUR OWN research on the matter. Start from ground zero and don't go into the search with pre-conceived (JW) ideas. It's very hard to do, but a veil will be lifted from your mind ...

Start with this fact: Humans are humans no matter what org they belong to/profess beleif in. There are those that do good with their lives, there are those that are 'neutral' in as much as they seem to just try and live their own lives (albeit somewhat selfishly), and there are those that seem to be truely evil. That remains true no matter the org. The JWs are no different. There are kind hearted ones in it, and there are those that take advatage of others in it.

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

The watchtower has been proven over and over again that they are a false prophet.. And, the bible has this to say about false prophets..

-- Revised Standard Edition --

Deuteronomy 18:20 - But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in my name which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.'

Deuteronomy 18:22 - when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word which the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously, you need not be afraid of him.

-- Revised Standard Version --

So, even * IF * some of the world events are seemingly like that of what the watchtower predicts, trust in god that he will make sure that the false prophets will end up with egg on their faces, yet again...

DON'T GIVE INTO YOUR 30 + YEAR INDOCTRINATION.. DON'T BE AFRAID OF HIM (THEM)!!!!!!

• kes152
    kes152

Dear Lollylou,

Here's what our Lord said regarding such things as you are seeing:

"The scribes and the Pharisees seated themselves on the seat of Moses

so whatever they tell you practice and observe, but NOT what they do; for they preach, but do not practice.

They bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with their finger.

They do all their deeds to be seen by men; for they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long,

and they love the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the synagogues,

and salutations in the market places, and being called rabbi by men.

But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brethren. "

Jesus told us to listen to the basic "truths" of those scribes and pharisees, but DO NOT do according to their works. All the things the scriptures say to us about Christ, we should practice and observe, but we should NOT do the hypocritical 'works' of the WTBTS. For they too posses the 'spirit' of the scribes and Pharisees.

If you read the whole chapter of Matthew 23 you will SEE that they are one in the same with the WTBTS.

Peace to you,
    Aaron

• r51785
    r51785

The WT frequently asserts that we are living in the worst time in human history. They depend on the fact that few people have studied history. Go to the library and check out a book called, "A Distant Mirror" by Barbara Tuchman. This book tells about life in Europe in the fourteenth century. By the time you finish you'll be convinced that that period of time was the "last days."

• larc
    larc

Lolly,

The last poster was absolutely correct. The 14th century was misery compared to what we have experienced in the last 100 years. They were so devastated by war and desease, that the population was smaller after one hundred years. By contrast, with our war and desease, our population and live span has increased significantly in the last one hundred years. Our century simply does not fulfill Matt. 24. No way.

• Lollylou
    Lollylou

All who replied - Thank you for the comments. It helps to just be able to sound off what I am thinking. Their are not many who understand unless they have gone through the process. I will do some more research and land on my feet (outside WTBS).

Lollylou

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit