If our son gets baptized....

by lavendar 7 Replies latest jw friends

• lavendar
    lavendar

.....will he still be able to come over to our house to visit.......or will the "powers that be" forbid him to do so?

Would we then be considered a "satanic influence" on him......the same people who gave birth to him, lovingly raised him, generously provided for him, nursed him in sickness, sacrified for him, etc.??

Lavendar

• carla
    carla

btt, help the lady out here if you can.

• middlechild
    middlechild

From your profile it appears that you have never been associated with the Witnesses. If that is the case then there is no reason he would not be able to still associate with you. He will have less free time with meetings on Tuesday and Thursday nights, service on Saturday and meeting on Sunday and all the preparation that goes along with these. He will not be allowed to celebrate ANY holidays with you and may even try witnessing to you on occasion.

• lavendar
    lavendar

Middlechild: You're right; our family has never been associated with the WTS. I have educated myself concerning the org. and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how insidious it is.

Well, that's good news that he won't be prohibited from seeing us. Boy, you know...as I just wrote that, it struck me how utterly RIDICULOUS that is! "Prohibited". This organization uses such CONTROL over its members.....and the sad thing is they don't even realize it! Ohhhhh, don't get me started......

Lavendar

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If you have not been successful in exposing the WT lies to him, I suggest you start reading
    about more subtle ways to help him. I may have already suggested Steve Hassan's books
    about cults. You can find both of them at www.freedomofmind.com. I suggest these because
    you will have to continue to help him find freedom, but unless you are careful about it, he
    will see you as endangering his spirituality. In other words, you will not be able to club him
    over the head with overwhelming evidence and retain a relationship. www.freeminds.org has
    many books you could look at also.

Just because it seems you are losing the war, don't despair. You can have the positive
    outlook that, one day your son will wake up to the Watchtower deception. Never accept that
    this won't happen. His wife will probably leave it sometime near his exit.

• lavendar
    lavendar

OTWO, we have tried to expose the WTS to him, but as someone on this board told me "He is more afraid of losing his wife, than he is afraid of joining a cult". That is so true, I believe.

Just because it seems you are losing the war, don't despair. You can have the positive
    outlook that, one day your son will wake up to the Watchtower deception. Never accept that
    this won't happen. His wife will probably leave it sometime near his exit.

Thank you for those encouraging words! I sure hope you're right!!

Lavendar

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    He is more afraid of losing his wife, than he is afraid of joining a cult

Last ditch effort on that. Their own words say that the "believing mate" should not depart from
    the unbeliever.

Watchtower

11/1/88 p.22 par.8 "When Marital Peace Is Threatened"

Stress is laid on preserving a marriage even if only one mate is a believer. Paul wrote: "If any brother has an unbelieving wife, and yet she is agreeable to dwelling with him, let him not leave her; and a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and yet he is agreeable to dwelling with her, let her not leave her husband. . . . But if the unbelieving one proceeds to depart, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not in servitude under such circumstances, but God has called you to peace. For, wife, how do you know but that you will save your husband? Or, husband, how do you know but that you will save your wife?" (1 Corinthians 7:12-16) If the unbeliever chooses to depart, the Christian will let him go. But the believer, hoping that the unbeliever may be won over to Christianity, will not initiate the breakup. Timothy’s mother, Eunice, apparently stayed with her unbelieving husband but imparted spiritual instruction to her son.—2 Timothy 1:5; 3:14, 15.

She is not to leave him if he examines the things outside of the WT literature. Just say you found some things
    interesting that you heard about witnesses. You heard that they made many false prophecies in the past about
    Armageddon arriving in 1975, and also by the end of the 20th century. You just want him to examine everything.
    If it's the truth, then you will be more sure if you examine outside evidence. If you are sure it's too late for that,
    then start reading those Steve Hassan books. They will show you how to make every opportunity to talk with him
    into a mini-intervention without seeming like you are overbearing.

Meanwhile, continue normal relations with your son. Don't let his religion change who you are. If you can't give
    him a gift for holidays and birthdays, give him and the wife gifts from your vacations or in the Spring or whenever.
    Show him you care on his anniversary. They are allowed to celebrate that.

• lavendar
    lavendar

Thank you, OTWO! I appreciate your input!

Lavendar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit