A Major Dream Has Been Fulfilled!!!!!

by XJW4EVR 24 Replies latest jw friends

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

It has always been a dream of mine to transfer to, and graduate from the University of Southern California. Last year I applied, and about two weeks ago I was accepted. That was cool, but I had no way of paying for it, and the financial aid I applied for would not cover enough of the tuition, and other fees. So I consigned myself to attending Occidental College, which is a fine liberal arts university about 2 miles from where I currently live, and was my second choice. Last night when my wife came home, I asked her if there was any mail (the mailbox was empty when I got home). She said nothing but bills. I asked her for them and she gave me a stack. I leafed through them, and got to a letter that was from a scholarship committee. Puzzled, I opened it and discovered that my name had been submitted by one of my professors at Cal-St. Los Angeles for a scholarship directed at older learners. The scholarship is a full ride, and could be used at 10 universities, one of which is USC. So in August yours truly will be enrolling for graduation in 2009 and fulfill his dream of being a Trojan for life.

Words cannot express how happy I am!

• BFD
    BFD

Congratulations! I am very happy for you.

BFD

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

WOW, CONGRATS!!!!!!

I want to see at least a 4.0 gpa , if not you will be on restrictions!!!

No seriously, good job - everything happens for a reason and I know you will take full advantage of your scholarship!! Best of luck!

nj

• nonamegiven
    nonamegiven

don't you know that the bible says higher education is wrong? Surely you understand that you will not survive The Great Day of Jehovah when it comes tomorrow, right?

Congrats man, I hope this dream being fulfilled makes many more come true.

• The Hamburglar
    The Hamburglar

Excellent choices indeed. Good to hear this.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Woooo hooo! Congratulations, That's no small accomplishment.

Go xjw!

Have fun- that is a very good school.

Learn stuff!

-K

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

That is sooooo cool!! I love hearing that somebody's LUCK has changed and something GOOD happened to them!

Never stop learning :) I hope this leads to even BIGGER and BETTER things!!

hugs, LD

• lisavegas420
  • SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

EXJW4EVER: Congratulations!! GO FOR IT.

After 20+ years of listening to the Borg tell me higher education was evil, I am finishing my 2 year associates degree this week. (Believe me, as a former elder, I got tons of grief for it) Unfortunately, I have to take another half dozen classes at my local community college for it to be considered a transfer degree to go on to the (non Borg approved) bachelor's degree. I may not use the associates degree for the field it is in, but it opens up tons of opportunities, JUST BECAUSE I TOOK THE TIME TO GET THE DEGREE.

SnakesInTheTower (of the Lazy -- but better educated -- Sheep Class)

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

XJW,

Well done! I hope that this educational opportunity will be all that you hope for.

Best regards - HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit