I've been asked to explain the Trinity...............

by whyizit 9 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

A JW friend of mine asked me what the Trinity means to me and how I can use the Bible to explain it. Why others think it is so important.

I understand that this could be a baiting technique to try to pull me into a debate, but in another aspect, I think she really could be wondering about it. Lately she has appeared a little disgruntled with the WTS. (She is not yet baptised.)

For the sake of argument, let's assume that she is asking, NOT because she wants to debate, but because she really is curious. Should I give her a long winded version of it, or should I try to keep it as short and to the point as I can? Do you have any good suggestions on what NOT to say, or perhaps what would be BEST to say about it?

I don't mind getting in to a back and forth discussion about it with her, but I really would like to keep from offending her. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(BTW: I don't mind that some folks do not believe God is tri-une. I know the concept is hard to grasp. But I really would like advice from those who DO believe it.) Thanks.

• Zico
    Zico

Well, I think it would be important to explain what the Trinity IS, as most JWs think it's that Son, Father and Holy Spirit are the same being, whereas the Trinity teaches it's 3 seperate beings who together carry the title 'God'

Arguing the Trinity won't be easy. I think it would be best to focus on the WT's deception in their Trinity brochure, which there are many threads and web-pages on, or at least start by focusing on Jesus divinity. Prove he's not Michael, which is quite easy, and that he's far more than the WT teaches he is.

• BFD
    BFD

Take a look at this thread.

Trinity?2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I don't know if I did that right but it is in the bible section if this is not clickable. Good luck!

BFD

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

To use a very inappropriate but interesting analogy, Freud would say that the mind has three distinct drives (ego, superego, and id) that each have different functions but which all comprise one single psyche.

• Mad
    Mad

Mad replies: Just repeat the Catholic Nician Creed while clicking your yellow shoes together on the Yellow Brick Road.

Few things (even WTBS prophecy speculation & claims) are as Ridiculous as the Trinity Dogma!

the Mad JW

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

Go ahead and explain what you know to your friend. If you use phrases such as "Some people believe this way while others believe another way." This will keep you out of the direct line of fire from 'some' elders. You can simply state that you were explaining the trinity as some believe. You would never believe that yourself.

Have fun with it.

IBAT

• M.J.
  • Narkissos
    Narkissos

If I wanted to explain the Trinity in a positive way, I would simply say that it is God above you (as the Father), God before you (on the face of Christ), and God within you (as the Spirit).

From an orthodox theological perspective the above corresponds to the so-called "economical Trinity," as opposed to the "ontological Trinity". But to me it is the only one that really makes sense -- from within as it were.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Have you ever seen God do anything, Jesus do anything, or the Holy spirit do anything? I haven't, so if anyone here has seen something personally I would like to know. Some emotional or mind changing doesn't count.

Ken P.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

BTW: I don't mind that some folks do not believe God is tri-une. I know the concept is hard to grasp. But I really would like advice from those who DO believe it.) Thanks.

Well if you want to try to explain the trinity. Tell your friends that jesus is God. He knew the begining form the end that's what the bible says. Then he got mad because he knew the people he made were going to be bad so he destroyed them in a world wide flood. Then he allowed the earth to repopulate and he came down to earth because he wanted to see what it was like to die on a tree or a cross, but at the last minute he started talking to himself about maybe getting out of the dying part, but he didnt answer himself in a way that allowed himself to escape death.

Oh and you could tell him that he came down to earth to die on the cross because he screwed up by making them sinful, but if they believe this fairy tale about him coming down to die on the cross that when he looked at them, he woldnt be able to tell if they were sinful because of his major malfunction in the creation department. Because if he looked at them and saw their sin he would have a major melt down right on the spot that not even moses could console.

Then you could tell them in human terms Jesus, aka God, the big kahuna is manic depressive, bi-polar, kind of dual diagnosed and that he is fixing to have another episode shortly and rock the world again, this time with fire and brimstone famiines and pestilences.

But if they believe the fairy tale they will be zapped right out of their cars and zoomed up to heaven before all these bad things happen. At least thats how they will write the fairy tale 2000 years from now after man crawls out of the ashes of a nuclear war.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit