Mormon program on PBS

by LovesDubs 17 Replies latest jw friends

• lesterd
    lesterd

Its spattered with some truth about them, but a lot is LDS propaganda. The Isrealites coming to America dont wash because of DNA research done on the native populations. No archiological evedence of the historic battles that supposedly took place in New York state, no eyewitness testimony in historical records. "Facts" quoted in the book of Mormom, such as the animals, horses, that were here when the two tribes arrived in the Americas is false, thes didnt come to America untill the explorers from other countries brought them. The book of Mormom was frought with so many mistakes that it could not be accepted as an inspired work from God, so it is not looked upon as the center of the Mormom beliefs, but merely as an object of proof that God had openned up a channel of communication to men through Smith.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I was making "god that sounds familiar" and "thats EXACTLY what the JWs do" as I watched it with my JW husband. I was astounded that he sat through 4 hours of that! I thought it was trying to be "kind" to the whole concept of being Mormons and their basically good intentions, and I thought it also exposed stuff theyd rather not talk about like the slaughter of all those people on the Meadow by Mormons. That broadsided me...that I thought they were anti violent like the JWs and yet didnt hesitate to bear arms and not only be DEFENSIVE but OFFENSIVE in protection of their faith. They showed how awful being on those missions can be...and some come back disenchanted and some come back solid in the faith. I loved loved loved that that woman who was writing about the LDS Church who was called into her Mormon version of the JC...with that SINGULAR chair in the middle of all those men...(at which point I said "thats EXACTLY how the JWs do it") and she said that the "kindness they were extending her hurt more because she knew the kindness was covering up the VIOLENCE of their excommunicating her."

God...how accurate is THAT to all of us?

• Crooked Lumpy Vessel
    Crooked Lumpy Vessel

kindness they were extending her hurt more because she knew the kindness was covering up the VIOLENCE of their excommunicating her."

• Crooked Lumpy Vessel
    Crooked Lumpy Vessel
    kindness they were extending her hurt more because she knew the kindness was covering up the VIOLENCE of their excommunicating her."

I saw her interview as well and really felt for her. I found it interesting how she had prepared a well thought out statement as to why she felt justified and misunderstood in her writings, including biblical quotations/scriptures to verify her arguements, but was interrupted and told that they would not be 'lectured by a woman.'

Similarly, JW elders may allow you to speak your mind, but their minds are already made up long before you make an argument.

Many times I felt that same hurt by the false kindness of a JW who were covering up their violent/unloving actions towards me.

• Panda
    Panda
    did as good a job as possible of showing the facts and history of the LDS church without taking any sides.

Undercover, This is exactly what the LDS would want you to think. It's just some nicely illustrated history lesson. This is the sort of complacent and politically correct attitude cults depend on to make their group seem "normal". But that's religion for you, learn how to make pretend that you aren't proclaiming your religion as the only way.

In a recent book by Stanley Fish (sp?) titled, Religion without Truth, he stated "The truth claims of a religion are not incidental to its identity, they are its identity."

So hook in the unwary because of your goodness and previous persecution THEN let them know that thankfully they are saved for eternity because they were smart enough to recognise the TRUTH.

Claiming to have the secret knowledge that god has given to your cults prophet is a way to say --- don't ever think of leaving us, you'll pay for that discretion forever.

Another good book about all-American religions is Starck's, The Churching of America. If you want undramatised history of religions in the US thats the book to read, thats the book with unemotional facts written by a historian and not a screen writer/dramatist.

• poppers
    poppers

Thanks for the link. I wanted to watch but didn't get a chance.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Drew;

I believe the JW's give their members a culture. The mormons have the myth of the lost Israelites. JW's teach that there have been members of the 144,000 on earth in every generation since Jesus left. I am a 3rd generation JW (grandparents go back to early 1900's). I have heard experiences from family members about mobs threatening to burn down their houses. There are pictures in the family album of my mother with a sign in front of a church saying Religion is A Snare and A Racket. etc. etc. All you need for a culture is a group of people with a shared history. All you need for a shared history is time.

• sir82
    sir82

I was thinking, at the beginning of the 2nd program, "Man! The WTS would kill to have that much political influence!" I'd bet, if there were any Bethel heavies watching the program, there were little pools of saliva under their chins.

I bet they're sorry they took that "no part of the world" bit so seriously. That would be too tough to "new light" away by now - it's one one of their cornerstone doctrines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit