Finally starting to understand faders...

by ex-nj-jw 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I haven't been posting for about 2 weeks, just kinda lurking, reading other posts, but not participating because I started to feel like I had nothing interesting to add, my life experiences, personal issues were just not very interesting to others on the forum, I felt.

I also started reading CoC as well as reading old posts and reviewing the links from "old timer" JWD members. See, I never got deep into this cult, 18 years from birth to end and I was outta there!! I never pioneered, never had the MS or Elder husband, although I dated a MS, he was only 19 early 20's at best (I was only 16) but that didn't last. I was always a rebel and would never had been able to conform. I had more than my share of JC committees and counseling from the Elders.

I tried not to let this cult affect my children, but unfortunately I didn't try hard enough, because my mom got a hold of my oldest (his story already told, again not very interesting I guess), but what is interesting to me is that recently I started communicating with an old friend who is still a JW, he's been married x2, with 1 child, teenage daughter. This daughter came to him because she felt guilty about "heavy petting" with her boyfriend, well her dad encouraged her to go to the elders, by her coming forward on her own they would probably counsel her or maybe public reproove at the most, but surely not DF her (this was our conversation) I told him he was wrong and from personal experience he should not encourage his daughter to go and talk to these elders, they would interrogate her, ask her very personal and intimate questions and probably df her anyway. Well she did as dad advised and the elders did what I expected, to be fair they also df'd the boyfriend (4th generation JW's, and very prominent JW's). But rumor has it that SHE seduced him and SHE was the bad seed, now her name is mudd!!! She tried to appeal it, but same outcome. He by the way is now reinstated after only 6 months!!!????? Kicker is they never even had sexual intercourse!!~!!! WTF????

I think my friend is on the fence especially after this incident (he is also 3rd generation JW) but cannot or does not want to believe that the "truth" is really a "lie". He still makes excuses for the WTBS changes, or the old party line that "they are imprefect men", Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.....I don't know that he will ever be able to leave, maybe I can help him???? I don't know how I can because I just left and didn't care about the consequences, I didn't have "good friends" in the "truth" I always had non-JW friends so for me it was easy and my family for the most part are a part of my life (sometimes I wish my mom wasn't but that another, probably boring story).

Anyway, I'm still reading Coc and I'm starting to understand other JWD members more, the reason for fading and not just leaving, the trauma of being df'd or da'd and trying desperately to avoid that. I've read "Jay's story" and found it to be very informative. I guess I have a new respect for those who choose to live a lie to keep from loosing family and friends. I tend to always say "if they were friends and they were loving family then they would not choose the cult over their family and/or friend, and if they did they didn't really care about that person anyway so who needs them"? But now I'm softening up on that a little.

I don't know what to say except that I've learned more in 2 weeks about this cult than I ever did in the 18 years I was forced to be in this cult. I'm glad I didn't waste my adult life in this cult and I'm soooo glad I was able to walk away without the drama that some have had to endure.

Thanks for reading my rambling post, maybe it will help somone else who is having trouble understanding the "faders".

nj

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Kicker is they never even had sexual intercourse!!~!!! WTF????

Ex,

I know someone who had a similar situation and was disfellowshipped. I didn't find this out until about 20 years later. They must have used "loose conduct".

Warlock

• found-my-way
    found-my-way
    I tried not to let this cult affect my children, but unfortunately I didn't try hard enough, because my mom got a hold of my oldest (his story already told, again not very interesting I guess),

((((ex))))

I found your story very touching and sad! Please do not think that just because you may not have gotten many responses, (I'm not sure if you did or not), that no one found it interesting...many read and do not post...but they feel for you just the same.

I hope your friend realizes how damaging this cult can be, especially now that the wolves in sheep's clothing have devoured his daughter, mind raped her and then cruelly spit her out...I hope he sees how heartless this religion really is.

• BFD
    BFD

Hi, ex-nj-jw,

I always scratched my head when it came to understanding faders. But the more I read here the better understanding I got. I still don't know how people go back even when it's for family concerns. I could not imagine having to sit in a KH for all those meetings without screaming, or at least coughing- "bullshit" every now and then. Also, knowing the fact is that if the family knew the real reason the person went back the crap would hit the fan anyway. It's all conditional and I don't know how that could make anyone feel better. But, everyone is different, that's what makes life interesting.

I think you're being hard on yourself. Everyone's life is interesting, you can't be as boring as you suggest in your post.

Thanks for sharing this here.

BFD

• Scully
    Scully

Christ almighty!

They DF repentant teens for doing what teens do, and they let frikkin lying child molesters roam freely in congregations and conventions.

I'm so glad I'm outta there, and that my kids will never be exposed that sort of "moral" environment.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

BFD and found-my-way

Thanks for your replies, I would always try to be supportive of the majority of posts especially if someone was having a bad day or something major happend in their life that had them feeling down, even if it was to say "hang in there", "I understand" ((((((((((hugs))))))))), I thought this forum was for support.

Just so much has been happening in my little world lately, I guess I just felt a little alone. It seems like if it's not one thing it's another, but that's life right???

Thanks again

nj

• jgnat
    jgnat

That poor girl. If she remains a JW, her marriage prospects are completely screwed up. Dad needs to get a grip and get her out of that environment.

• Honesty
    Honesty

What would happen if every JW who does not believe the WTBTS's BS yet still attends meetings for family and friends stayed away from everything JW for 3 months?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

dear ex-nj-jw, thanks for your post. I remember how much I learned about myself once I started reading the posts on this forum, even though I had been out of the org. for many years. I understand more than I did before, just from reading all the experiences posted here. I hope you keep posting, and I hope you can help your friend see how unfair his daughter has been treated and how much he needs to be her support. I think punishing people for a natural drive is very stupid. Teens are going to experiment with sex - so much better to be really frank and direct with them, tell them what they need to know so as to not screw up their lives. I feel sorry for that poor girl, punished so heavily for nothing much at all.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Faders... When I was a regular dub I could not understand why anybody would attend the meetings sometimes and hang around if they were not active..After all, what they heard was condemnatory of them.

Now, I do it myself - to keep something like a marriage going. ... When I was younger I knew a Witness called Ted, except that he never witnessed, he never did anything except come to meetings sometimes, with wife and young daughter. The background was that Ted had once been a zealous Pioneer, but got involved with a worldly woman, got d/f'd , & married her . What do you know? his wife took up the "Truth" and he was the outsider in his own house....So he got himself re instated . But did he believe?

Now I think I can empathize with him . When your family is in, it is no fun being out unless you want a really separate life

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit