Official Australian records of E C Henninges and Rose Ball

by Doug Mason 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

And from the 1906 divorce transcript (I think), a portion as found here:

Q.What did Rose do at the Watch Tower?A.She attended to the correspondence.
    Q. Where was her desk with reference to the desk of Mr. Russell in the Watch Tower Society?
    A. It wasn't near his; it was in the office.
    Q. When would he go to the Watch Tower in the morning?
    A. I don't remember; he generally went down alone.
    Q. Who would return with him?
    CT Russell response
    A. She came with him in the evenings, and they came home about eleven o'clock and the young men that were in the office - she was the only girl, and the young men would go home, and he wouldn't allow her to go home with them, and she must wait and always go with him.

I like the bit that comes after your 1906 WT quote also Leo:

The brother came first, and shortly after "Rose's" coming he died.

It was some months later that Mr. Russell in the WATCH TOWER office, hearing sobbing, turned to find "Rose" in tears. Inquiring the cause, "Rose," still weeping, came over and sat on his knee, and complained that Mrs. Russell had worked her too hard before she started for the office; and that she felt weary and friendless. He told her that all that was a mistake. He defended Mrs. Russell as not intentionally unkind or unreasonable, and told "Rose" to do what she was able to do, cheerfully, and then to explain her weariness, and that he was sure nothing unreasonable would be asked. Then, suddenly drying her tears, "Rose" kissed [R3815 : page 222] Mr. Russell. Although surprised at all this Mr. R. did not resent it nor reprove it; but rather reproved himself for not having been previously more fatherly. That very night he talked with his wife about "Rose," and pointed out that she was surely lonely since her brother's death, and that it would be a duty to look after her interests more carefully.

Mrs. Russell agreed, and it was mutually arranged that "Rose" thereafter should be considered and treated as anadopted daughter. "Rose" was so informed in the presence of the three, and invited to spend her evenings in the large study and reading room with the Russells. This course was followed; and when "Rose" retired, usually at 9 p.m., Mrs. Russell kissed her good-night and told her to "pass the kiss along" to Mr. R. also. This custom continued several years, until Mr. R. said to "Rose": "I think it best that I should discontinue kissing you; you are now wearing long dresses and looking more womanly, and Mrs. R. might get to feel jealous;--although she has never said a word to that effect, I would not wish to give her the slightest reason for so feeling."

~Merry

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Q.What did Rose do at the Watch Tower?
    A.She attended to the correspondence.

Thanks Merry!! That must have been where I recalled that Rose had secretarial duties. And thanks for highlighting the statement in the 1906 Watchtower that said that the Russells agreed that Rose "should be considered and treated as an adopted daughter" after the death of her brother. Do we know when that was?

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene
    "should be considered and treated as an adopted daughter" after the death of her brother. Do we know when that was?

"Some months" after the death of Rose's brother, according to the quote. Do we know when that death was? Hmmm...

~Merry

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Do we have a specific date on when Rose Ball married Henninges? I'm pretty sure it was in 1900 (as the 15 February 1900 Watchtower claimed that she was already married to him, and it also said that she had been in the Bethel family for 12 years, the same length of time that Maria Russell claimed intervened between the time Rose came to the family and when she got married at the age of 32 [sic]), but would like to have confirmation.

I should compile in one place a list of all references to Rose Ball in the literature and documents.

• VM44
    VM44

Notice the following:

HENNINGES Rose Ball: Nationality - American: Date of Birth - 19 March 1869:

Joseph Franklin Rutherford - 8 November 1869 to 8 January 1942

ROSE BALL WAS OLDER THAN RUTHERFORD!

How did Rutherford expect people to believe what he wrote concerning Rose Ball's age when there were plenty of people around who knew exactly how old she was and what work she did for the Watch Tower Society?

Did anyone back then ever bother to correct Rutherford concerning this matter?

--VM44

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LOL, good point!

If the revisionism began with Russell, that might explain things.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The WTS tried to clear Russell of adultery by claiming Rose was only a little child at the time of his alleged relationship with her and he was only kissing her paternally before sending her to bed. That led to accusations that he was a pedophile since his wife was claiming he was doing more than that.

In the end it was verified that Rose was an adult woman at the time and even a director of the WTS though this was kept secret from outsiders. Apparently at the time Russell was wooing her and intended to divorce his wife to marry with her.

• startingover
    startingover

Stev,

I have told this fact about Rose Ball's true age to several people, and it did not seem to change any one's mind, they held the same view as before, and only made them think less of me for being interested in the first place.

You really hit the nail on the head with that statement.

Great research everyone.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Apparently at the time Russell was wooing her and intended to divorce his wife to marry with her.

I think this goes far beyond what is known. Being a flirt or even a Bill Clinton doesn't imply you plan on divorcing your wife. And I thought Maria was the one who sought separation, not the other way around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit