What are your "bitter/sweet" moments since you have been out of the borg?

by FreedomFrog 2 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Just last night my son was in his first school play called "Spaced Out". He and his class practiced very hard on the songs and acting parts. It was a 2nd/3rd grade play. It was very cute.

As I was sitting there, the bitter moment was remembering when I found out that I could not be in the plays from 2nd grade on. My parents became Dubs when I was about 7 years old. I do remember my 1st grade play and I was so proud of myself but years after that I was forbidden to join with my school because of "the time" it took. Also, plays tend to fall on Thursdays which meant not missing the meetings just to go to a play. I find it interestering that my parents became even more zeolous on those particular nights. "A sacrifice" they would call it. I remember sitting in the hallway of the school crying because I was "left out".

The sweet moment was seeing that my 8 year old was having so much fun. After the play was over he says to me "mom!!!! that was soooooo much fun!!!!!". Seeing his eyes light up and actually having fun was so refreshing. It made me feel warm inside to know that my kids are not going to have to miss out. Even my 2 year old daughter says to me.... "me (pointing to herself)...big...cheer"....She wants to become a cheerleader when she's bigger. She seen the advertisement of cheerleaders. Everytime the cheerleaders are on TV she starts her "cheers", jumping and tumbling saying "me...big".

So now I'd like to know, what has happened to you since you've been out of the borg that brought back BOTH the bitter/sweet feelings?

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

The other day on the beach I saw a lovely family that reminded me of some of the happier moments of my childhood because the parents and the kids looked like me and my siblings - both agewise and spacing. It was like seeing me, my sister and little brother all over again at ages 6, 7, and 2 playing on the beach. It made me cry, both for joy and sadness, that my own daughter (and if I ever see grandkids) won't be broken apart from one another over a cult religion.

All of my daughter's birthdays have been bittersweet; in that we can have and enjoy them, but that no one else in the JW family can or will.

The same for all the holidays we celebrate, all the special dinners, all the presents we give and make, all the beautiful photos - shared with other worldly friends, but not our family. We've gotten used to it and don't dwell on it a lot, but the knowledge of it is always there. I guess it's the same when a loved one has passed away. Life goes on and you do your everyday things, but you still think of your loved ones. It's just impossible not to.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Yeah I've had a lot of them. My wedding: most beautiful sunny afternoon, at the top of a mountain overlooking the ridges on the other side of the range. My hubby is there and I'm about to start living, and yet my bum siblings haven't bothered to send just a text message to tell me to have a good day.

Spending time with my non-JW family... I always love to see my nan and pop, but it's tough because for all of our sakes we have to avoid talking about the loons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit