Where does the WT Society get all of its money?

by Threestars 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Threestars
    Threestars

I was always taught that they were so frugal and even poor, just scraping by with neccessities back in Brooklyn and at the Farm, and in our congs they always harped at everyone to put more in the box since they couldn't make the Hall payment or the utilities, etc.

Now I am hearing that they are quite well off. Is this mostly from wealthy dubs leaving money to the borg in their wills, or, rich ones donating, (for instance Prince or the Williams sisters)?

Just curious.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I was always taught that they were so frugal and even poor, just scraping by with neccessities back in Brooklyn and at the Farm, and in our congs they always harped at everyone to put more in the box since they couldn't make the Hall payment or the utilities, etc.

Now I am hearing that they are quite well off. Is this mostly from wealthy dubs leaving money to the borg in their wills, or, rich ones donating, (for instance Prince or the Williams sisters)?

Yes, Threestars, what you were taught is what the WTS heirarchy would like everyone to believe. And it used to be that they acquired a lot of money from donations and wills, properties and insurance policies signed over to them. Now it's due more to the sale of properties in Brooklyn where they'll be getting their funding.

Just in case this could be construed as an example of premature articulation, I'm sure there'll be someone along shortly to verify all this.

Frannie

• journey-on
    journey-on

Yes, Threestars, that's the impression they gave their rank and file. But, the information highway has exposed them for what they are: wealthy, manipulative, corporate real-estate moguls, and so much more.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Volunteer labor without benefits.

Tickets to heaven in exchange for your will (assets).

Dodging taxes as a "charitable" organization

Giving nothing to charity.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

I have heard that the bOrg also owned stocks in some kind of weapons mfg. co. and maybe in tobacco. I'll look it up and get back to you.

Also, the WB&TS also has a lot of free labor at Bethel, Gilead, and in their local congs for things such as selling the literature, KH builds, and other property building which can be re-sold and used as collateral for loans and such.

And yes, there are a lot of us dummies who gave them our money in addition to our precious time.

Edited to add this:

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Well one place to start looking might be in The Best of... WTS Finances A few examples are in the links below

2000 Annual Info. Return for WTB&TS of Canada

Watchtower 34th Biggest company in NY

Where Does the $$ Come From??

That is just a beginning. There is far more to learn

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

From the above embedded page:

"None of the Watchtower’s "Sister Companies" fabricate neither bombs nor ammunition of any kind. However, REGI’s management systematically seeks out –and has obtained- U.S. Department of Defense’s awards, funding and subcontracts to supply the U.S. Department of Defense with RC™ technology. REGI’s management has signed numerous agreements with some powerful warfare-technology contractors. An experienced military contract negotiator was appointed as REGI’s Marketing Corporate Director. He is now providing engine technology for the U.S. Navy's new Silver Fox(SWARM). "

• Crooked Lumpy Vessel
    Crooked Lumpy Vessel

Heres a great real estate venture.

Build a new kingdom hall with funds borrowed from the Watchtower Society. Then over time make them pay back the loan with interest. Then later when the numbers go down, take back the Hall and sell it for current value.

Its like me buying a house and spending 30 years if interest and principle, then after I made my last mortgage payment the bank owns it. :P

• AZ
    AZ

I think I always heard that they mostly made it on donations...but why am I not surprised to learn that we have ownership in companies that make machines for the U.S. military...it's scary that you can find that kind of information out but I guess all you have to do is look.

• Gregor
    Gregor

This question always amuses me. It seems ingrained in most JW's (and X's for that matter) that it is the liturature placed from door to door that supports the org. Like, I know that we were always instructed to ask for a (10 cent?) contribution for the Watchtower and Awake combo meal. But it escapes most people that the WTS sells it's lit. to the rank and file. After the publisher picks up their field service "supplies" the WTS could care less if they take it home and toss it in the recycle bin. Most JW's know the feeling of agonizing over what to do with the precious 'left overs' of spiritual food that accumulated in piles around the house. Seldom would anyone ever reduce their order. I used to be a lit servant and we collected the Society's list price for every magazine, book or Bible from the publishers and Brooklyn sent invoices and statements just like Amway. On occasion we would have to present a resolution to the cong to kick in for lit bills that were past due, even if it had never been picked up! When one considers the raw cost of cranking out this crap with free labor (room and board and 10 hours a day) and that it is essentially pre-sold to the congs. it is like printing money. Of course, contributions, KH mortgages, Brooklyn real estate, volunteer labor, etc. etc., all comes into the picture. But the bread and butter is the money coming from the pockets of R&F Witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit