No longer a "Robotic Parrot"

by Trotafox 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Hello, everyone:
    I'm new here. Here's my story. Lord, where do I start? First of all, to set the scene, I'm female, single and 50'ish. I've been asking questions about God since I was 12 yrs old and it's been that way all my life. I was ripe for the JW's. My best friend (of 26 years) was a JW and I started studying with her. Sounded good (it always does) so I joined the ranks of the "robotic parrots". Shortly after I was baptized (little over 10 yrs ago), my best friend's husband lost his job and they moved to another state. I struggled and struggled to do my best but my best never seemed good enough for the elders. The pressure to attend all the meetings, do door-to-door service and study was unbelievable! I wanted to scream "Which part of this don't you understand?" In hind sight, now I realize that I was struggling to keep them from controlling every minute of my life. Without realizing it, I was really trying to keep control of my mind! I've always had a very sensitive conscience and they really worked it. After a while, I started to have doubts. In January, I started to miss meetings. Well the brothers were all over me like a duck on a june bug. The pressure and conditional love from the elders and the congregation did not fit the understanding that I had of true Christian love. Somewhere along the line the "friends(?)" forgot how to be friends.

I had never checked out the JW's (who had the time for Pete's sake with 5 mtgs a week, yadayadayada). I didn't have Internet access at home until I purchased a new computer in April. Well-l-l-l in April I accessed my first JW site and many after that. I ranted and raved for 4 days straight. That was a Thurs. By Sun, I was ready to write my letter. I'm as faithful as a hound dog and I'll follow anyone anywhere if I think they are telling me the truth. But lie to me and your toast. I thought of my best friend of 26 years and I was crushed. I felt I had to quickly pull a case together because my next telephone call to her just may be my last (it was as it turned out). I completely stopped attending meetings. I was furious. I was up all hours of the night trying to put all the paperwork together from the Net to present a case. This was tough since I work full time. I spent weekends at the Library and bookstores. All the while, fending off the brother's phone calls and visits. In total, I had 7 unannounced visits at my home in six months. I was exhausted. I finally called my best friend. I told her I was going to disassociate myself but was barely able to get much else out because she never stopped talking. She was so busy putting up brick walls, I could hardly get a word in edgewise. She said I had been fighting it for years because I never had the time to study like she did. This was "parroted" right from the 7/1/01 WT, pg 21. I recognized it at the time because I had read the magazine, too. I knew exactly what she was thinking. She had no intention of listening. The only thing I had the time to get in was "They are lying to you." She wasn't even aware of the results of voluntary dissassociaton. I had to explain. She said she had no time or inclination of "looking for excuses to leave the WTS". So, after weeks of losing sleep in an effort to rescue her, she essentially blew off a 26-yr friendship in exactly 10 mins. I haven't heard from her since. Talk about conditional love. I can only wonder what her unbelieving husband is going to think when he never hears from their best friend again.

Anyway, I am enjoying my new found freedom. I'm a dancer and have started dancing again. I really missed it for 11 years. All I did was preach, teach, and eat (60 lbs worth). My spiritual brains are a little scrambled from the bent WT doctrine but I know my spiritual self will get straightened out with prayer and effort. I'm in no hurry to do a great deal of studying right now. I'm all studied out. However, I have read Franz' "Crisis of Conscience" and "In Search of Christian Freedom". These books helped a great deal. I love God. I have always been searching for him, and finally realize that I have had him with me all the time in His message of love; love for Him and for all of his creation. It is not difficult. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand it. When you have your nose buried in studying every leaf, you miss the glory of the forest. What's more important is that we should have the FREEDOM to learn to love Him and develop our own relationship with Him. No organization or church has the right to dictate, manipulate and control every aspect of your thoughts and lives according to their own bent understanding. God never intended the WTS to run interference! Well, that's my story...so far. Sorry, it's so long. Look forward to some chats.

Trotafox

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

Hi Tro,

Welcome.

I enjoyed your story.

Sorry about your friend (?).

Sounds like you have a lot of anger to let out. Thats ok. I understand. Mostly you are mad at yourself for all the wasted time. Boy, do I know that feeling even though its been a long time.

Keep posting and keep dancing because you are on the right road.

minds are like parachutes--they only function when open.

• sweetone2377
    sweetone2377

Hi Tro,

First off, welcome to the boards and hats off for keeping control of your mind.

Isn't amazing, this "friend" was there for you for 26 years even before you became a Witness. And now, she won't have anything to do with you. Maybe it was a ploy to lure you into their organization, I don't know. I'm not one to judge. But I do think it's a shame that she allowed the WTS to take such a beautiful friendship away from her, and you.

I agree that you sound like you have pent up anger. I myself am still working through it. I also DA'd myself, a year and a half ago. I have lost my mother, my younger sister, and I have missed watching my baby sister grow up and blossom into a pre-teen (due to the fact that I was inactive before I Da'd myself, and was DF'd for about 5 months just after I got married).

It is hard at first, to deal with God. I'm still working through that also. Esp. when you feel you have no one to talk to. When all those who were "close" will no longer speak or look at you. But be assured, you will find there are ones here who will listen patiently as you find your way out of the darkness and back into the light.

May I ask, where are you from? I enjoyed your illustrations and it sounded like things that were used often where I grew up. I grew up in Eastern Ky but am now living in NE Ohio.

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." ~ Matt. 5:6

• FormerOne
    FormerOne

Just to give you a little bit of hope...

I had a "best friend" growing up, we were like sisters. We did EVERYTHING together, had the same interests, you name it. During those stressful high school years, she started "drifting" from the organization. I was basically told that she was no longer a good association and so, brainwashed as I was at the time, I gradually cut my association with her. Over the years we lost touch.

Can't say I didn't think about her anymore. Every major event in my life (high school graduation, wedding, etc.) always felt incomplete without her.

Well, bet you can't guess who called me out of the blue about nine years ago? Yup, she missed me through the years as much as I missed her. And it's funny, by the time she had called me, I was already "drifted away" myself.

Although we now live quite a distance apart, we have a great friendship and call each other all the time. We share quite a bond and are looking forward to exchanging pictures of our kids in their Halloween costumes!

You never know how things might work out. A 26 year frienship is a good one. Hopefully your friend will see that. It may just take a little time for her to accept the change in the terms of your relationship.

I wish you the best. Know that you've got lots of people here that are ready to give you some support, even a shoulder to cry on if needed. We know what you're going through.

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Thanks for the replies....

California Sunshine: I LOVE that name. I guess you could say I'm a little (lot) angry but more hurt than angry. My Friend(?) has been a JW for about 15 years now. What makes me mad is that she knows me. She knows that when I smell somthing fishy, I dig and dig until I finally find the cause. And yet she sides with the WTS without even listening to me. States I was "looking for an excuse". Oh, well. As Ray Franz said some people need to have things nice, neat, and all spelled out for them so all they have to do is follow the instructions. It would take a miracle to get her out. I keep hoping her husband will send me an E-mail (he's not a JW) but I know his computer is not working right now. She probably doesn't want him to get another one because he spent so much time on the Net. For all I know, he may have already been in the ex-JW sites and is just keeping quiet because if she's happy, he's happy. Why upset the apple cart. Except our 26-year friendship ended up being the sacrificial lamb! Ya know what? I gotta give over this and let this friendship GO-O-O-O. I don't like being mad. Stress does weird things to my body.

Sweetone: NE Ohio, huh. Where? I was born in Youngstown, OH. Moved to Cuyahoga Falls, went to high school in Troy, and moved to Akron after high school. Left for Florida in 1975. I really miss Ohioans. Being an Ohioan, do you know what pop is? When I moved here, they had no idea. "You want a what?"

FormerOne: What a great story. Sure wish mine would turn out that way.

Keep in touch.
    Trot

• think41self
    think41self

Hi Trotafox,

Welcome to the board! I enjoyed your story very much. I too am sorry you had to lose your best friend...but I can see you realize that your freedom is worth any price.

Not to try to give you false hope or anything, but I was a faithful dub for 35 years, shunned my own sister and brother when they were df'd...but life went on and I eventually left the borg. Fact is, my sister and I left for good at around the same time, and now we are closer than we ever were before. So, you just never know! Give her some time to really start missing you, then maybe try contacting her. Good luck to you, and I hope you find support and encouragement here!

think41self

"Not believing is not the same as not knowing."

• larc
    larc

Trotafox,

Get yourself out of that bug infested, hot and humid state of Florida and get yourself back to Ohio. I grew up in Akron and now live in Dayton. Share info about your life as a Buckeye here or e mail me. We may know some of the same people in Akron. Hell, we might know each other.

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Larc:
    Share, Share. Did somebody say share? Be glad to (in private. ) Sent you an E-mail. Appreciate the interest Fellow Buckeye.

Trot

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Hey...I'm made JUNIOR. Larc: I'm really a Senior aren't I. Don't tell now. It's our secret.

Trot

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Thanks, Think. I plan on that. It just really hurts. I've never been the type to have a lot of friends (I'm not very outgoing) but the one's I have, I end up very tight with. So when I lose one, it's like having an arm amputated. We "only children" tend to make our good friends the siblings we never had. I know how I hurt. I cannot imagine how an ex-JW hurts when shunned by all JW family members. It is just beyond me how they think that is loving.

Trot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit