Is It "Wrong" To Say That Someone "Sounds" Black??

by minimus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

If sayin' you black is wrong I don't wanna be right. Noamsayin'?

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous
    jaguarbass: My comment is when one says the articulate man who doesnt sound black, that is a back handed comment that person is picking up one black person and putting down the rest

I agree. If a race label is used to mean "you are/are not inarticulate", that is inappropriate.

I also recognize that generalizations are often based on some kernel of truth.

This is all different, however, from "voice recognition". There is a certain timbre found in the voices of many black people that I often heard growing-up. I can sometimes recognize this quality in a voice - whether the speaker is articulate or not - and correctly identify the speaker as african-american. This is not, however, fool-proof. I myself am missing this particular tonal quality in my voice and, of course, can be wrong in my guesses. I also find that I'm losing this ability as I am exposed to a broader range of vocal tones; others might use such an exposure to hone their recognition.

• free2beme
    free2beme

No, as black people do have a certian sound. No one said it sounds bad, only that it has a certian sound you can not ignore. I would bet, I sound white.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    No, as black people do have a certian sound. No one said it sounds bad, only that it has a certian sound you can not ignore. I would bet, I sound white

I bet you do sound like a White person from Oregon.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I was just wondering if the people in England can tell when they're talking to a Black or White person? People from Britain throw me into a vacuum when they talk.

I have (had JW) a friend that passes for White by her looks, but man when she opens her mouth, you know she's black!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I was trying to find a British Black person talking and ran across this! "Say something!"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aw40WnpNzgA

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Don't let me forget Brother T--- (pronounced terror). That man looked White (had blue eyes) and was articulate. I didn't know he was Black; and he knew that I didn't know; I guess I wasn't acting right or something, because he told me he was Black. He lived in the hood, too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit