One of the greatest threats to the sanity of humanity- HISTORICAL MYOPIA

by nvrgnbk 24 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Antibiotics were a real breakthrough and contributed a great deal to longer lifespan. In fact, without antibiotics I probably would not have survived childhood because I was sick so often with strep throat, bronchitis and tonsillitis.

Ditto! Excellent points Hortensia!

Nvr

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

However, I think the definition of "basic needs" is always being redefined.

That's precisely my point Bro A! We discuss abstract concepts, while in times past we would have been wholy consumed with providing sustenance for ourselves. Our increased leisure time has increased our perception of anxiety.IMHO.

Nvr

• JeffT
    JeffT

My Dad's a doctor and his father was a doctor. In my grandfather's day doctors set broken bones, delivered babies (not that they could do much) and otherwise tried to make the patient comfortable until he got better or died. Dad can remember when his father was able to start using the first sulfa antiobiotics. Suddenly pneumonia was no longer a fatal disease.

I agree about the myopia. I can remember doing the duck and cover drills (even as a kid I wondered who was going to bomb Cooperstown, NY), segregated bathrooms I saw on a trip through the south, I thought I was lucky because we could pull iln THREE tv stations at our house.

I better stop, I'm going to sound like an old fart.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

My Dad's a doctor and his father was a doctor. In my grandfather's day doctors set broken bones, delivered babies (not that they could do much) and otherwise tried to make the patient comfortable until he got better or died. Dad can remember when his father was able to start using the first sulfa antiobiotics. Suddenly pneumonia was no longer a fatal disease.

I agree about the myopia. I can remember doing the duck and cover drills (even as a kid I wondered who was going to bomb Cooperstown, NY), segregated bathrooms I saw on a trip through the south, I thought I was lucky because we could pull iln THREE tv stations at our house.

I better stop, I'm going to sound like an old fart.

Thanks ya old fart! LOL! Nice insights JeffT.

Nvr

• BFD
    BFD

Is the world a better place today than it was 100 years ago? I would say yes for many of the reasons that were stated here earlier.

But, these advances in technology can also be mankinds undoing. For the first time in history, mankind now has the power to completely destroy all living things on this planet. And the common thread in history is that men are warriors. So, I think it is only a matter of time before these weapons will be used. Eat, drink and be mary for tomorrow we all may die.

I'm such a gloombitch!

BFD

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

One big part of the "myopia" question (as the emerging "environmental" issues point out) is about differences in perspectives and time scales...

For instance, what has long been assessed as "good" for mankind may prove destructive to biodiversity; this, of course, is bound to backfire on mankind but those consequences are far off the limits of political and technological vision when the critical decisions are made.

Perhaps the Earth will find a way to control its self-appointed "rulers" (its most harmful parasites from another perspective?). Even if that means "disasters" from our speciist perspective.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

He who has seen present things has seen all, both everything which has taken place from all eternity and everything which will be for time without end; for all things are of one kin and of one form. ~Marcus Aurelius

The charm of history and its enigmatic lesson consist in the fact that, from age to age, nothing changes and yet everything is completely different. ~Aldous Huxley

The world always makes the assumption that the exposure of an error is identical with the discovery of truth - that the error and truth are simply opposite. They are nothing of the sort. What the world turns to, when it is cured on one error, is usually simply another error, and maybe one worse than the first one. ~H.L. Mencken

BA- What they said.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Good point Nark, I do believe humanity is improving on a lot of things but who knows how long we will be here? We could be here for a very long or short time. When you think of the first known extinction ( about 90% of species ) that cause the evolution of dinosaurs, then they were wiped out (70% of life). We are the only known advance hominid out of 20 known species that made it. Who knows what the future will be.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Good point Nark, I do believe humanity is improving on a lot of things but who knows how long we will be here? We could be here for a very long or short time. When you think of the first known extinction ( about 90% of species ) that cause the evolution of dinosaurs, then they were wiped out (70% of life). We are the only known advance hominid out of 20 known species that made it. Who knows what the future will be.

Good points all. Nark, Anti-Christ, Bro A, and BFD.

I understand that the very existence of humankind is tenuous. I simply note that things are getting better, in spite of the negativity spun by so many. As for the social ills facing the world, perhaps a greater willingness to discuss them has given the impression that they are something new.IMHO.

Nvr

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    I simply note that things are getting better, in spite of the negativity spun by so many. As for the social ills facing the world, perhaps a greater willingness to discuss them has given the impression that they are something new.

Yea, It's like when you see reports on t.v. in certain places, the report on crimes might go up but in reality crime has gone down. The "end of the world" thing that a lot of people seem to be talking about is pretty much fueled by the media and religious groups. When you really look at things you could see that the world is in fact changing but I don't think it's getting worst. One more thing, something I read once in a WT, it really pissed me off, the WT was relating things that were getting worst, democracy, human rights and women equality were given a bad revue, I could not believe what I was reading!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit