Can YOU identify this photo (1914 Rapture?)

by AlphaOmega 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

THANK YOU to you all, the finest Watchtower minds on the internet

Who says that apostates don't verify their material and that the internet is a tool of the devil ???

AO

• stev
    stev

On the ascension robes:

The SDA historian Nichol in his book The Midnight Cry devotes a chapter to refuting the claim that the Millerites wore ascension robes. Jane Marsh Parker, a daughter of a Millerite preacher, in her article "The Little Millerite", claims that she never saw any ascension robe. Joshua Himes, a leader of the Millerites second to Miller himself, in his old age wrote to a newspaper claiming there was no truth to these stories of ascension robes. The author of "Days of Delusion" believed it did happen, but in my opinion does not prove it but uses only hearsay evidence. All of this can be found on the internet.

The statements that I have read about the Millerites/Adventists wearing ascension robes are not contemporary eyewitness accounts or personal testimony of the robe-wearers themselves. Stories which are obviously meant as jokes, humor, satire cannot be taken seriously as historical evidence. In the Macmillan's story about Russell, Macmillan claimed that Russell denied the story, Macmillan had heard the story about the newspaper, but it doesn't seem Macmillan had actually read the newspaper himself. Macmillan according to his book first met Russell around the turn of century, 1900, which would be years after 1878. Macmillan likely wrote the book in the 1940's, years after 1878.

There is more confusion about Russell's expectations for 1878 and 1881, which is reflected in Macmillan's story. Macmillan claimed that Russell did not expect the rapture in 1878, but Russell did in fact admit that he did. But Russell's own account has problems. In his "Harvest Siftings" published several times in the Watch Tower, Russell gives an account of what happened in 1878. See Reprints 3823, 7/15/1906. Russell explains that he believed in the traditional view of an all-at-once rapture, but modified his views, and held that the saints would die and then be changed. However, in the Watch Towers of 1880 and 1881, Russell still held to the traditional rapture and expected it in 1881. It was only after 1881 that he changed his views. But in Harvest Siftings account Russell discusses his change of view amidst 1878, although Russell does not clearly state when he changed his mind, perhaps Russell is stating his final thoughts that started to germinate in 1878. But the reader can easily conclude that it happened in 1878. Macmillan's story and account of Russell's beliefs were probably based on this account, and doesn't reflect what Russell expected then.

After 1881, when the rapture again had not occurred, Russell closed the door to the high calling instead, but then reopened it later to admit replacements for crowns lost. The fact that Russell expected the rapture and closed the door around 1881 is not well known, and Russell did not report it in "Harvest Siftings". Penton in his book and Zymunt in his doctoral thesis discusses 1881. Zygmunt is quite thorough about Russell's beliefs at that time. Quotes can be found on the internet from the WT 1880, 1881.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

*** jv chap. 28 p. 632 Testing and SiftingFrom Within ***

When that did not occur, they concluded that since Jesus’ anointed followers were to share with him in the Kingdom, the resurrection to spirit life of those already sleeping in death began then. It was also reasoned that the end of God’s special favor to natural Israel down to 36 C.E. might point to 1881 as the time when the special opportunity to become part of spiritual Israel would close.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

The man in the background in the second pcture is wearing a bowler as in laurel and Hardy.Captions are called for here ,I think Russell is saying "another fine mess you got me into Joe".

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Another caption.The lady on the far left of the picture is saying to the lady next to her" If the judge says he's taking that sexy dietician on the next cruise handbag him and don't take the bottle of beer out of the handbag."

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

stev....Thanks, looks like my skepticism that these were urban legends is justified. (At least as far as the robes are concerned)

• reslight2
    reslight2

I will add to what has already been said:

I am not with the JWs; I am associated with the Bible Students.

The photo was definitely taken in 1910, not 1914. This picture appears in the September 1, 1910 issue of the Watch Tower magazine. The photo has nothing at all to do with any alleged rapture at any time. Russell did not believe in what is generally referred to as "the rapture".

Indeed, on October 2, 1914, Russell was in Brooklyn, where he gave his famous announcement at the Bethel breakfast table that the Gentile Times had ended. As someone pointed out, if the picture had been taken in Palestine on October 1 (as some have claimed) of 1914, in those days, it would have been impossible for Russell to be in Brooklyn the next day.

http://rlctr.blogspot.com/2016/11/rapture-hoax.html

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Thanks for bringing our attention to the unreliability of

http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk

Maybe it's actually an anti-apostate website

• St George of England
    St George of England

Copies of this photograph have appeared for sale on Ebay over the years. As has been explained it was taken in 1910, the party celebrated the memorial in Jerusalem that evening.

As regards the youngster, there are claims that it was Malcolm Rutherford, however in 1910 he would have been 18 years old and this boy is clearly not as old as that. The ward's son was about 12 years old and this boy looks more like that age. The 1910 WT lists the travelling party and Malcolm Rutherford is not listed there either.

George

• Fernando

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit