What did you become after leaving Jehovah's Witnesses?

by Garrett 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Garrett - "What did you become after leaving Jehovah's Witnesses?"

Free.

• cofty
    cofty

I was an evangelical, bible-believing, born-again, saved, washed-in-the-blood, adopted, son of god, praaaaaaise Jeeeeebus, christian for nine years.

Then I started reading books.

• out4good4
    out4good4
    I went to school and didn't stop til I had a Masters Degree. During that time, I went on to building a career and a life I could enjoy and be proud of instead of wasting it spreading pulp fiction around.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    A Carl Saganesque Non-Theist and cosmic Pantheist. The Universe is my goddess.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    A liberal, non fundamentalist Christian active in a church and happy to have my own ideas and opinions and freely speak them amongst others who have their own ideas too...and somehow we all get along and love eachother.
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Hi Garrett. My husband and I left twenty-six years ago. We were Christians for two years but not churchgoers. Then my husband did lots of research on evolution and he even wrote a book about it. The publisher said he needed a science background to publish a science book so he started the physics degree he had always wanted to do.

I started a degree in European history. Within a year we had both stopped believing in God. My husband became a chartered physicist but dropped the book idea because it was based on theistic evolution.

It was in his will he wanted a non-religious funeral, he died at age fifty-four six years ago. I am an atheist but I think there is a lot of evidence for conscious existence after death. We got here without a god so I don't think any further stage of evolution has any need for a god or anything supernatural. This was something I first started reading about 23 years ago when I came across a book about it in a second-hand book shop, much to my surprise. I am still open-minded, nothing is set in stone.

• DJS
    DJS

Garrett,

I went back to school, finished a bachelor's degree i had quit due to the Dark Lords' influence, then got an MBA and am currently pursing a PhD.

I became a better father and leader, finished raising my two amazingly beautiful and successful brats - both of whom I am completely crazy stupid close to.

I became a better employee.

I traveled extensively, began collecting ex-girlfriends, art, and a grand assortment of real, close friends.

I volunteered and served as chair to two separate organizations for several years.

I became an adjunct professor at two colleges, a very rewarding experience.

I began seeing the world as it is; removing the black/white goggles that I had put on to mimic the Dark Lords' pharisaical teachings revealed a complex, complicated, beautiful and beautifully flawed world full of grey. As a result, I lost my judgmental nature and developed a liberal tolerance for the differences in people.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    I became aware of how little I know about most everything and how in the grand scheme of things how little it matters.
  • Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

The term "religioned out " best describes my position since leaving that lot 20 years ago.

Bill

• flipper
    flipper
    I became myself after exiting the JW cult. My authentic, real self, not the WT trained cult self. And I found out that I really LIKE myself. I found out I had no need to feel an inferiority complex about myself. No need for fear or guilt. And now I treasure freedom of mind. Consider myself happily agnostic and I have no interest or need to know if there is a God or not. I just need to know and trust myself. I found that works a lot better

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit