Calling All Singers!

by FiveShadows 4 Replies latest jw friends

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

I have a tenor male voice and so far my range, though i'm not fully firmilar with notation yet, is "Caro Mia Ben" Opera. I am seeking vocal lessons and my teacher is so far happy with my voice though it's low in pitch. She says it doesn't appear to be damaged. Even though I trust my instructor, I still have to ask someone who I am not a pay check to, in order to recieve complete honesty in regards my questions.

Back when I was sixteen I recieved some 'good' advice that left me in the dark. Using the diaphram and other muscles to focus and sing. However, this person that gave me this advice was just a friend. I put my trust in him and i feel now that my voice has had permant damage. For the next eight years i've made very little progress, though i feel i can use my diaphram fully now...my hight in pitch, however, I feel has suffered. I'm not sure if this is true or perhaps my anxiety and paranoia. However I have looked up online hoarness which does come occasionally when i'm pushing too hard with my diaphram (because my friend said loosen up your throat completely) etc.. But not always. Not to the point where i've lost my voice completely. I also feel like I have a lump in my throat every now and then after singing. But I only feel this when i'm trying to reach a new level on songs, which obviously means i'm not using my muscles/vocal cords right. Now I am aware of 'nodules' that can occur over time. Again I feel as though I can hit high notes and low notes, but there's something wrong with the medium. I'm not sure if this is a lack of training seeing how I have only had one lesson (this past friday) so far, or permant damage of vocal cords in medium notation.

My question is this: For all you singers out there that know what I am talking about, does this make any sense? If so, is there any treatment I can get incase I DO have nodules or polups or what not. I still feel as though I have a lump in my throat. It goes away after a while (an hour or two) but I can't help but feel as though i've permantly damaged my voice. If there is surgery involved (which they say is only necessary for 5% of people with nodules) ...is it possible to be able to recover your voice fully by removing the nodule? I understand there is a risk involved with it and you can loose your voice permantly but is anyone firmilar with treatment that could recover voice damage? How bad is 'permant damage' compared to 'temporary?' Again, like I said: I only had my first REAL lesson yesterday. I guess i'm impatient, and I apologize for my lack of patience in regards this question, but I can't help but wonder if i'm going to be able to recover my voice to reach a higher pitch, tone, and notation. Can anyone explain perhaps besides 'hoarness' and 'lumpy feeling' ...how someone can sing something ...and pay attention to certain things which might point to the direction that my voice is permantly damaged as opposed to 'lack of training?' I just need someone who isn't seeing me as a paycheck to help me understand this.

~FiveShadows

p.s. If anyone has any audio clips I might be able to listen to in order to understand the difference between damaged cords/nodules and lack of training, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I've looked and have yet to find anything.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I've been likened to Meatloaf.

I can't sing, but I am "husky." :)

Have you heard about this program?

http://www.perfect-voice.com/

I've been wondering about it for some time...

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

Nathan~

I actually have heard of it, but I wasn't able to afford much. Now that I've gradutated from college (yet i'm back in it again) ..I have some financial resources to get vocal lessons. The problem with cds and DVDS is that my left side ear drum doesn't work. So I need someone to always tell me if i'm on key or not (train my right ear to the notes without the left). Which is why i'm seeking private lessons. But I have saved that and book marked it so that I may use it when my ear has been trained accordingly. Thanks!

I must say, though I am trying to sing opera, I prefer rock music and meatloaf rocks! Blue Oyster Cult, Joy division, Old Metallica, Guns N Roses, Motorhead...It's my preference. LoL I remember Lemmy from Meatloaf had a saying: "I want to be the band that if I moved in next door to you, your lawn would die." I always thought that was pretty intense. =D But yeah I wouldn't recommend something like that becuase it doesn't really ever teach you when your wrong. No matter what you sing they'll prerecord a "Excellent! your doing GREAT!" And if you have a meatloaf sound, you should definately develope your voice. I think It would be intense. I think dvds and cds like this are better after you've trained to an extent and are able to check yourself on key or not. I lack this because of my impariment but perhaps you would be able to follow with it better then I would. However, I'll keep that in my favoriates for later use. Thanks!

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

Nathan~

I actually have heard of it, but I wasn't able to afford much. Now that I've gradutated from college (yet i'm back in it again) ..I have some financial resources to get vocal lessons. The problem with cds and DVDS is that my left side ear drum doesn't work. So I need someone to always tell me if i'm on key or not (train my right ear to the notes without the left). Which is why i'm seeking private lessons. But I have saved that and book marked it so that I may use it when my ear has been trained accordingly. Thanks!

I must say, though I am trying to sing opera, I prefer rock music and meatloaf rocks! Blue Oyster Cult, Joy division, Old Metallica, Guns N Roses, Motorhead...It's my preference. LoL I remember Lemmy from Meatloaf had a saying: "I want to be the band that if I moved in next door to you, your lawn would die." I always thought that was pretty intense. =D But yeah I wouldn't recommend something like that becuase it doesn't really ever teach you when your wrong. No matter what you sing they'll prerecord a "Excellent! your doing GREAT!" And if you have a meatloaf sound, you should definately develope your voice. I think It would be intense. I think dvds and cds like this are better after you've trained to an extent and are able to check yourself on key or not. I lack this because of my impariment but perhaps you would be able to follow with it better then I would. However, I'll keep that in my favoriates for later use. Thanks!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

How old are you? Ive been singng since I was 12, I'm 54 now I can stll sing, Jaggers still singing, Steve Tylers still singing, Mccartneys still singing. Live rock and roll will tear your throat up, 2 days and you need a rest. That also depends on how professional you and the people you are working with are. If you keep the stage sound down, something that only the most professional end up doing, you can sing calmly on stage. But your vocal chords are muscles the more you use them the tougher they are. I guess if you get the nodes on your vocal chords singing might not be for you. Its kind of like the young athelete that tears his knee.

I'm talking about classic rock from the Beatles to Aerosmith 60's to 80's I dont know anything about opera.

Recording in a studio often is another ball of wax. Often times in the studio you sing calmly and dont have to yell, or push out lots of air, to get over the volume of the instruments.

The majority of popular music is sung in a narrow vocal range, its the rare song that pushes the limits, taxing the vocal chords. Robert Plant cant sing Robert Plant any more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit