Archangel Michael ...

by jelcat8224 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• glenster
    glenster

Sorry to double post. The correct link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_%28archangel%29

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

How important is it for us to know for sure?

• heathen
    heathen
    The JWs leaders' teach that Jesus is a created being, archangel Michael, and
    not to be worshipped. This view is required by the JWs leaders for membership
    in the JWs and salvation.

yah and I heard at the memorial this year they are now saying he was just a man without Godlike powers . How stupid can a person be to conclude that? It's clear he was worshipped and people did grovel before him. Revelation states that every knee shall bend to him and shows the great crowd prostrating themselves in his presence. REVS 7 Salvation we owe to God and his christ .

• daystar
    daystar

OMGWTFBBQ!!

Archangel. God’s Word refers to Michael "the archangel." (Jude 9) This term means "chief angel." Notice that Michael is called the archangel. This suggests that there is only one such angel.

So, using that logic, Felix the Cat was, like, the only cat in existence.

• glenster
    glenster

Correction to my first post: John 2:28 should be John 20:28 (saying "My Lord and my
    God" "to" Jesus in first century monotheism isn't a good way to indicate Mi-
    chael and not the mainstream Jesus anymore than anyone thought Logos or Wisdom
    would be a way to do it).

Heathen's point about abusive language possibly being what's meant, not just
    a rebuke, in Jude 1:9 is good, so I want to amend what I have about that:

Just after Moses' death, archangel Michael didn't use strong language to judge
    against the devil, preferring to defer judgement to the Lord. The JWs leaders'
    view, with archangel Michael appearing later as Jesus, would see Michael not be-
    ing the second Lord of Christianity yet just after Moses died. It sees 2 Pet.2:
    10b,11, in apostle Peter's day, as similar to Jude 1:9 but adding that angels,
    which JWs leaders' define as lesser beings than archangel Michael, don't use
    strong language in judging something as bad (the reference to Jude 1:9 implies
    that angels defer judgement to the Lord, too):

2 Pet 2:10b,11: "Daring, self-willed, they do not tremble when they revile
    angelic majesties, whereas angels who are greater in might and power do not
    bring a reviling judgment against them before the Lord."

In the JWs leaders' view, Michael, by apostle Peter's day called Lord, would
    be excepted from angels as an archangel and could judge against someone:

John 5:22: "For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judg-
    ment to the Son."

The mainstream view would consider an archangel a chief angel, see 2 Pet 2:
    10b,11 as a reference to Jude 1:9 that would include archangels as still defer-
    ring judgement to the Lord, and the Prov.8:22-31/Logos etc. "God and Jesus"
    phrasing idea mentioned before works better for phrasing that indicates one Lord
    in the "one God and one Lord" monotheistic culture than Michael as a second Lord
    does.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit