Social Anxiety Disorders

by Thinking of Leaving 17 Replies latest social relationships

• Thinking of Leaving
    Thinking of Leaving

Hi Everyone, the guy I'm currently dating suffers from Social Phobia and it's beginning to affect our relationship. Does anyone have any experience dealing with this? I have to admit this is all new to me, most of the guys I've dated are pretty normal, but this one seems to need some extra care. I've thought about breaking it off because of his illness but I have very strong feelings for him and care for him deeply. Am I being realistic in hoping this will work for both of us or is this form of mental illness so severe that I can't make a success of the relationship. If anyone has advice on this, please share it with me.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I dated and lived with a guy that had social anxiety. It lasted 2 years, but....eventually I just couldn't deal with it. I tried to help him throught things, and it seemed to behelpinghim at first....but, then it got worse and I was tired of living by his warped thinking. I think people like that need to help themselves before beinga good canidate for a mate. Just my experience. Hope things work out for you though :)

• Thinking of Leaving
    Thinking of Leaving

thanks so much for responding, I really feel for him and want to help but sometimes he just clams up so much, I can't say or do anything that is going to make him better. If you don't mind, can you tell me if it was hard for your boyfriend to communicate his feelings? or was he just socially anxious when meeting your friends/relatives? what were some of his warped views? thanks

• Thinking of Leaving
    Thinking of Leaving

thanks so much for responding, I really feel for him and want to help but sometimes he just clams up so much, I can't say or do anything that is going to make him better. If you don't mind, can you tell me if it was hard for your boyfriend to communicate his feelings? or was he just socially anxious when meeting your friends/relatives? what were some of his warped views?

• Thinking of Leaving
    Thinking of Leaving

thanks so much for responding, I really feel for him and want to help but sometimes he just clams up so much, I can't say or do anything that is going to make him better. If you don't mind, can you tell me if it was hard for your boyfriend to communicate his feelings? or was he just socially anxious when meeting your friends/relatives? what were some of his warped views?

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

My shrink that I see actually told me that my social phobia was caused by all the events being a JW. I am in treatment now.... It helps alot... I know that if you do get the right help it will go away.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Do you know why he is having this problem? When I went through my first divorce I went through something like that. I couldn't go anywhere, not even the grocery store without having an anxiety attack. Maybe he just needs time with something that's recently happened. If you know what started this or caused it, it would be easier to understand and help him get through it.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Is your BF a JW, or former Jw? Or are you?

Just to get the facts straight here.

Jeff

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have quite a bit of social anxiety myself but it is related to the stress and uncertainty of processing social interaction that comes with aspergers. Not that this is necessarily what is going on with your boyfriend, but it might be worth considering whether the social anxiety is part of a bigger picture of what he is dealing with.

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

Well, I suggest he see a psychologist specializing in anxiety disorders; he also may need medication. A good psychologist should help him find the root cause of the problem, but he has to want to help himself as well. Most people who go throughh these type of things wait too long to get help allowing the illiness to impact relationships, careers, self-esteem, etc... It actually is treatable if he gets help. thecarpenter aka thepsychologist

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit