A few questions for the Brits

by sir82 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Juni:

I love you Brits! LittleToe too.

I get the feeling that you think that Brit = English.

Brit covers Scotland as well. I'm happy to be called British.

No LT I think she was just differentiating you from the rest of the human species!!!!

Juni - I will watch the movie over the weekend and let you know what I think. Eman on another board recommended it so thats why I rented it.

• vitty
    vitty

The scene about the stag ...................to me , meant that she went to see the dead stag, was upset (cried), honoured it by visiting it and appreciated its beauty...........................it was the complete opposite reaction she gave to Diana.

but I like the monarchy, regardless......................it gives us British some class,dont it

juni----------------------Wales and Northen Ireland are also part of Britain

• Clam
    Clam
    The scene about the stag ...................to me , meant that she went to see the dead stag, was upset (cried), honoured it by visiting it and appreciated its beauty...........................it was the complete opposite reaction she gave to Diana.

Vitty I thought that at first, but then I supposed it was probably meant to represent Diana herself, alone, beautiful and on the run from hunters, who ultimately kill her. I wondered if the Queen could see the parallels and felt that she was being given a "message" ??

Clam

• juni
    juni

Are you sure it wasn't just regret that she had no gun to bag one for the pot?

LMAO Ross!

Thanks Crumpy!! :) I appreciate that hon.

Always did suck in geography! lol Sorry Ross. Yeah I was thinking Brits=English. And you were Scotts and Irish were from Ireland. Is that because it's called the British Isles?? Just one big happy British family??

Juni

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

In the early part of 1980 I tried to drive across a main road from a minor road ,in Preston.I was held up for over an hour after I had put in a full eight hours work .Every road through was blocked.I got out of my vehicle and waited with the crowds ,eventually the motorcade past ,Prince Phillip waived so did the Queen but I don't think they recognised me.When I was in the RAF the Queen came to visit the base ,all leave was cancelled for a week that included everyone on the station.Another time all flights over an area near Oxford were stopped for a day while Prince Charles flew over the area.When Prince Charles did his parachute course he dropped into the sea ,everyone had to do it onto land.

During the Margaret Thatcher era at the party conferences all roads around the conference centre were closed,every time she moved a car would whisk her away with a helicopter flying overhead.Any delivery vans driven past the back of her hotel were routinely searched with their contents thrown out onto the pavement.Police marksmen were placed on top of prominent buildings.Ambulances and operating theartes were permanantly on stand by.All metal pavement and road access covers were welded together .Armed police were everywhere in the town centre making the holiday resort a fortress.

Just thought you would like to know.

• Duncan
    Duncan

The Stag scenes, my take.

To recap : Philip tells the Queen that he and the boys are on the trail of this magnificent 14-pointer stag. Later she comes across the animal unexpectedly in the countryside, and tells it to “shoo” before the hunters get there. Eventually, she discovers that it’s been shot by another party of hunters; and , in the end, the Queen visits the lodge where the shot stag is being stored, and kind-of pays her respects to the animal.

There are 2 reasons, I think, why these scenes were considered dramatically necessary.

First, and most important - these scenes give the Queen-character a chance to act in a manner the audience can sympathise with. You must remember that for the entire length of the film, she is portrayed as being “in the wrong” – in fact, she’s the films “baddie”. She’s shown as being completely out of touch with the mood of the country at the time of Diana’s death, and she suffers a catastrophic loss of popularity. All that was true enough, but the film required her character to show some redeeming features, just so that she didn’t come across as a complete pantomime villain. Weepy concern for the stag, and sadness at its death fits the bill nicely (never mind the fact that, in real life, she would probably have been the first to put a bullet into the poor beasts head.)

Secondly, the stag does stand as a symbol. The whole film is about a massive change that took place in the English people during that crazy week in 1997 when Diana died. The old stiff-upper-lip English reserve went right out of the window as the English people discovered in themselves the capacity to exhibit a very public, overtly demonstrative grief over the death of a much-loved public figure. Things would never be the same again. Those lingering scenes where HM the Queen stares sadly at the poor dead stag symbolise her grief at the passing away of the old order of things (or something like that).

Anyway, a fabulous film, deserving all its awards.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

The queen doesn't strike me as being that sentimental. I thought the whole stag thing was way too obvious. Somehow I didn't buy anything in the movie, although I enjoyed watching it. I thought the actor portraying Prince Charles should get an award for absolutely abysmal acting. I like watching the royals, it's more fun than watching someone like Anna Nicole Smith, for instance. Hijinks in high places, fun to watch.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    You're one of Tony's cronies aren't you - permitted into the tight inner circle!?

Too long on this Board I think. I guess I am developing a mind that Benny Hill would have been proud of.

HS

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

ROFLMAO

Now I've got the Benny Hill chase scene music running around in my head, to the scene of the Queen chasing after a herd of deer...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit