protesters against JWs at WTC on 9/11?

by concerned fiance 16 Replies latest jw friends

• concerned fiance
    concerned fiance

My fiance's mother, who is in complete hysteria since the attack on 9/11 and went back to being a witness after 10 years (clearly the main reason my fiance is now considering he should go back)told my fiance something that she heard from one of the elders last week. I am not sure if it is true and most likely, there is no way to prove it. She said that on the day of the attack, there was a group of people outside the WTC screaming and badmouthing JWs because they don't fly the flag etc. Has anyone heard of something like this?

• dedalus
    dedalus

Complete and utter bullshit.

Before the WTC incident -- before it -- no one in this country gave a damn whether you flew the flag or not. When I was teaching High School, no one even saluted it in the morning. It was only after the attack that the flag became the important symbol it currently is.

Generally, anti-Witness rallies, such as they are (usually just a few people standing next to a sign smiling at passersby), are timed to coincide with conventions.

Just two reasons why this propaganda tactic is complete and utter bullshit.

Dedalus

• Seeker
    Seeker

Hi concerned,

I live in NYC, and I can asssure you that her story is 100% false, and I will demonstrate how I can be so sure:

She said that on the day of the attack, there was a group of people outside the WTC screaming and badmouthing JWs because they don't fly the flag etc.

So, on 9/11 itself, when people were fleeing the area around the WTC, and police were setting up zones around it to keep people out safely while rescue people rushed in, there managed to be a group of people who forced their way past the police in order to stand in the midst of toxic black smoke that covered the entire downtown area simply in order to denounce JWs. Uh huh. Riiiight.

1. No one in their right mind would be in that area on that day unless they were rescuing. People were fleeing! The smoke was billowing for weeks in that area, and on that day it was turning day into night.

2. The patriotic fever had not yet taken hold of the nation. We were still in shock. People's thoughts were still on the 'what will happen next' stage, and not yet on the 'let's show our support' stage.

3. Nobody had been able to buy flags yet, so how would they know who was or was not flying the flag yet?

4. Why did no one at Bethel mention this detail through all the reports that have slipped out?

5. Why did this patriotic protest not make the news here in the city where it was supposed to happen?

6. Who cares about JWs?

JWs love to think that the whole world is about to turn against them, so they make up rumors that indicate their world view is correct. That's what happened here. She can go scurrying back if she wants, but a few years from now she's going to feel foolish.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

To my knowledge JWs dont yet glow in the dark so there is no way anyone would KNOW they were JWs if they were there which they werent. If anybody was going to protest against JWs they wouldnt do it at the WTC they would have CROSSED the freakin bridge and done it OUTSIDE JW HEADQUARTERS.

The one thing that REALLLLLY pissed me off about the JWs and being one was that they were SOOOO willing to accept as FACT any bullshit that came down the line that was TOTAL fabrication if it allowed them to look PERSECUTED. There need be absolutely NO proof of the reality of things...they just ACCEPT THEM AS FACT and then proceed to SPREAD THEM AS FACT.

JW protestors at the WTC are about as real as SMURFS COMING TO LIFE IN THE KINGDOM HALL AND BITING PEOPLE!

All this poor US poor little innocent US crap makes me gag.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Dear Concerned Fiance,

My condolences on your idiot mother-in-law.

Was the "moral" of her story that god would allow 5,000 people to die a terrible death so that he could "wreak great vengence" on the persecutors of his "true" people? Is god's aim so poor that he can't help collateral damage 100X greater than his target? If so, he must be using a spiritual blunderbuss as his weapon of choice!

Dear girl, are you still planning to become part of this family? I recall your earlier message.

• Preston
    Preston

I think JW's have this victim agenda that totally distorts their world view. Yes, it is true that JW's are persecuted in foreign lands, and even here, but it seems like JW's think that people are so wrapped up criticizing JW's, and that they're the center of attention. Believe me, on 9/11 people were more concerned with finding the bodies of mothers, fathers, children, and those of New York's finest than giving a shred of concern over JW's and the Governing Body in New York (New York's un-finest...Ouch!). Personally, I think that the vast majority of people couldn't care less about whether JW's salute the flag or not.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Dont worry all - if it is true - you can be sure you'll hear about it at your next convention, or hot off the presses in the Awake.

• Moxy
    Moxy

outside the WTC before the attack? the implication being that they met their just deserts when the towers tumbled?? how idiotic! jehovah was so incensed that he had to kill 5000 people just to get a few apostates?! well, thats consistent with the jehovah of the OT at least.

what a dumb story.

mox

• gumby
    gumby

I don't think the story was meant to indicate jehovah caused the attack to get the apostates......i hope not!

• Seeker
    Seeker

Hmmm...now that I see other's reactions, and I re-read the original post, I'm beginning to wonder what MIL meant. But if she meant the protestors were there before the WTC crashes, that's just total lunacy. Why on earth would they protest there? Before the patriotic fervor began? Doesn't this woman even think before passing this garbage on?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit