My JW sister wants her mom and siblings to pay for HER retirement!

by Who are you? 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Quandry
    Quandry

Sounds like you have the situation under control. You might also look into meals on wheels. If they have it in her area of the country.

Also, try to clean the house and maybe have a garage sale of items no longer in use that she agrees to get rid of. Remove clutter that she might fall over. This also makes things easier to clean, making less of an expense in hiring someone. They make clothes now that have velcro and snaps in front to help mom still be able to dress herself.

Go to Wal-Mart. They have all kinds of aides for the elderly.

A good schedule is important. You can get nurses aides to come and help bathe, etc. Since your sister is there at night, you will save the big expense of having a sitter then.

I agree sis should not be able to get her hands on the credit cards, etc.

I had to care for my folks for some time. My dad died and now mom is in an assisted living facility. Yes, they are VERY expensive. And she probably wants to remain in her home as long as possible.

Hope things go well.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I sure as hell am not going to pay for you to be a JW. You've worked for the WTS for free for over 30 years...ask them for retirement assistance!

Amen and Amen.

Let her see firsthand just how loving her "Faithful Slave" turns out to be.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Who are you?

This is all so sad for your mother. I'm so glad you and your brothers are taking such a caring approach to it and giving your sister a very gracful way out. If she is smart she will take it.

I suspect she really believes she deserves more than her fair share. It is next to impossible for JWs to realize the WTS has used them. And like many JWs they condone their actions because they are taking from non-JWs

You've got a good plan going to arrange for your mother's care.

Bravo to you and your brothers

Elder abuse is quickly coming to the attention of health care workers. We frequently have ads on the TV about elder abuse.

Who are you? The section about financial abuse might be very useful as leverage to keep your sister in line if she starts to create trouble. Elder abuse is illegal

Saorise some of the following might apply. If you have more concerns about the welfare of your grandparents REPORT THEM Numbers can often be found in the front of your telephone book

National Center on Elder Abuse

Elder Abuse: The Basics

Major Types of Elder Abuse

Physical Abuse

Physical abuse is defined as the use of physical force that may result in bodily injury, physical pain, or impairment. Physical abuse may include but is not limited to such acts of violence as striking (with or without an object), hitting, beating, pushing, shoving, shaking, slapping, kicking, pinching, and burning. In addition, inappropriate use of drugs and physical restraints, force-feeding, and physical punishment of any kind also are examples of physical abuse.

Signs and symptoms of physical abuse include but are not limited to:

• bruises, black eyes, welts, lacerations, and rope marks;
    • bone fractures, broken bones, and skull fractures;
    • open wounds, cuts, punctures, untreated injuries in various stages of healing;
    • sprains, dislocations, and internal injuries/bleeding;
    • broken eyeglasses/frames, physical signs of being subjected to punishment, and signs of being restrained;
    • laboratory findings of medication overdose or under utilization of prescribed drugs;
    • an elder's report of being hit, slapped, kicked, or mistreated;
    • an elder's sudden change in behavior; and
    • the caregiver's refusal to allow visitors to see an elder alone.

Emotional or Psychological Abuse

Emotional or psychological abuse is defined as the infliction of anguish, pain, or distress through verbal or nonverbal acts. Emotional/psychological abuse includes but is not limited to verbal assaults, insults, threats, intimidation, humiliation, and harassment. In addition, treating an older person like an infant; isolating an elderly person from his/her family, friends, or regular activities; giving an older person the "silent treatment;" and enforced social isolation are examples of emotional/psychological abuse.

Signs and symptoms of emotional/psychological abuse include but are not limited to:

• being emotionally upset or agitated;
    • being extremely withdrawn and non communicative or non responsive;
    • unusual behavior usually attributed to dementia (e.g., sucking, biting, rocking); and
    • an elder's report of being verbally or emotionally mistreated.

Neglect

Neglect is defined as the refusal or failure to fulfill any part of a person's obligations or duties to an elder. Neglect may also include failure of a person who has fiduciary responsibilities to provide care for an elder (e.g., pay for necessary home care services) or the failure on the part of an in-home service provider to provide necessary care.

Neglect typically means the refusal or failure to provide an elderly person with such life necessities as food, water, clothing, shelter, personal hygiene, medicine, comfort, personal safety, and other essentials included in an implied or agreed-upon responsibility to an elder.

Signs and symptoms of neglect include but are not limited to:

• dehydration, malnutrition, untreated bed sores, and poor personal hygiene;
    • unattended or untreated health problems;
    • hazardous or unsafe living condition/arrangements (e.g., improper wiring, no heat, or no running water);
    • unsanitary and unclean living conditions (e.g. dirt, fleas, lice on person, soiled bedding, fecal/urine smell, inadequate clothing); and
    • an elder's report of being mistreated.

Financial or Material Exploitation

Financial or material exploitation is defined as the illegal or improper use of an elder's funds, property, or assets. Examples include, but are not limited to, cashing an elderly person's checks without authorization or permission; forging an older person's signature; misusing or stealing an older person's money or possessions; coercing or deceiving an older person into signing any document (e.g., contracts or will); and the improper use of conservatorship, guardianship, or power of attorney.

Signs and symptoms of financial or material exploitation include but are not limited to:

• sudden changes in bank account or banking practice, including an unexplained withdrawal of large sums of money by a person accompanying the elder;
    • the inclusion of additional names on an elder's bank signature card;
    • unauthorized withdrawal of the elder's funds using the elder's ATM card;
    • abrupt changes in a will or other financial documents;
    • unexplained disappearance of funds or valuable possessions;
    • substandard care being provided or bills unpaid despite the availability of adequate financial resources;
    • discovery of an elder's signature being forged for financial transactions or for the titles of his/her possessions;
    • sudden appearance of previously uninvolved relatives claiming their rights to an elder's affairs and possessions;
    • unexplained sudden transfer of assets to a family member or someone outside the family;
    • the provision of services that are not necessary; and
    • an elder's report of financial exploitation.

There is much more info on the website

• Lady Lee
  • Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Good for you and your bro! Great responses.

Golly do those people get suckier and suckier!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit