The Question Of Religion—The Question of Atheism

by The wanderer 19 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

The Question Of Religion—The Question of Atheism

Recently, I posted some thoughts and questions about atheism and after having
    read some of the individual thoughts on that thread it is understandable why some
    individuals on both sides feel the way they do.

Belief Systems?

From my perspective, religion and atheism have a common denominator. One
    believes in a Universal Creator or God and the other does not. I have decided
    that neither one nor the other fully answers the questions to life’s meaning and
    both have questions to face.

However, my biggest fear about both is becoming “locked” into a belief system
    that does not allow for other views and perspectives on different subject matters.
    If questions or disagreements are raised about either perspective, the individual
    is subjected to insults or ridicule.

Taking A Stand

Being a Jehovah’s Witness for 14 years, my views were contained in a system
    that only provided one resource for “truth.” I do not want to repeat the same
    mistakes as in the past by accepting one perspective or a "one-sided approach"
    regardless of the matter.

Therefore, I keep an open mind on a subject allowing for other possibilities.

Thank you to those who took part in the threads and in particular those that
    pointed toward sources of information on both sides of the matter.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• golf2
    golf2

What's that saying about, "You will please some of the people some of the time but you will not please all the people all the time." Ah, something like that.

Golf

• Carmel
    Carmel

"A rose is a rose, no matter in what garden it grows". Truth abounds and bears seeking no matter where it may take one! Your open mindedness is the mark of a "true scientist"! Happy wandering! carmel

• Highlander
    Highlander
    From my perspective, religion and atheism have a common denominator. One
    believes in a Universal Creator or God and the other does not. I have decided
    that neither one nor the other fully answers the questions to life’s meaning and
    both have questions to face.

I can't speak for all other athiests or agnostic, so I will speak only for myself.

Religions generally tell people that they, and only they know the secrets to the universe in regards to how we got here and what our purpose is.

As an athiest, I openly and honestly admit, that I do not know how life or the universe came to be. I'm willing to admit that I don't have an answer, whereas many religions

claim to have most if not all the answers. That being said, I believe it is the one that claims to have the answer that should be facing the questions.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

I just block both of them out of my mind, it doesn't serve my day to day living ... believing in one or the other does not improve your lot in life.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

However, my biggest fear about both is becoming “locked” into a belief system
    that does not allow for other views and perspectives on different subject matters.
    If questions or disagreements are raised about either perspective, the individual
    is subjected to insults or ridicule.

That's your Jehovah's Witness background talking. Being free of the borg means that you never need to be "locked" into any belief system. While it's true that sometimes a person may be subject to ridicule no matter what he or she believes, the freedom to believe what you want and to discuss it among others, both those who agree and those who disagree, is a fundamental freedom.

Therefore, I keep an open mind on a subject allowing for other possibilities

Here we definitely agree. In my own life's journey from that narrow cramped road of Jehovah's Witnesses, I investigated all sorts of religious thought and it occured to me that if there is a god and he wants us to serve him why didn't he make the way clear? Why is he playing a game of "Choose the Right Religion" out of 10,000 possibilities? That's when I began to read about the scientific breakthroughs that we have made. Evolutionary biology tells us how we got here. Sociology tells us why we act the way we do and even why so many of us need religion. To me the things that scientific investigation have discovered are far more intriguing than the "God done it" explanation of religion.

Open-mindness is necessary for science. Closed-mindness is the hallmark of fundamentalism, like the Witnesses.

CyrusThePersian

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

The wanderer

From my perspective,

Very true, and the entire issue (see below)

religion and atheism have a common denominator. One
    believes in a Universal Creator or God and the other does not.

How can this be a common denominator? It is like saying 'Fred and Jane were identical as Fred likes jam and Jane didn't'.

They are differentiated by their beliefs in god.

I have decided that neither one nor the other fully answers the questions to life’s meaning

Of course atheism doesn't answer the questions to life's meaning! It isn't meant to. This doesn't mean in a godless Universe life can have no meaning, but what meaning we give it is a result of us not some intrinsicmeaning for our existence.

I suggest you seek to stop presupposing things; whilst you carry on making such assumptions you truely are;

“locked” into a belief system that does not allow for other views and perspectives on different subject matters.

All the best

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Abbadon:

Yeah, I see your point “locked” into a belief system
    that does not allow for other views and perspectives
    on different subject matters.

Kind of like the paranormal.

The Wanderer

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Wanderer: You are traveling a well trodden path. The questions you are grappling with can serve as the starting point for a very liberating and fulfilling experience. I was a Witness for most of my life, but there was always some nagging doubt (even when I served as an elder) about the way the Witnesses (and a majority of theistic beliefs) completely dismiss or ignore the vast body of scientific evidence regarding the "deep time" aspects of earth's history and the anthropological evidence for human evolution. We aren't so special...we are just another species that has appeared on the scene, for maybe a little while, maybe a little longer. If there is a good university nearby, go sign up for some geology classes and evolutionary biology classes--MAN, what an eye-opener--once you start to dig (no pun intended) for answers you won't be able to stop. The atheist can no more prove the non-existence of god than the theist can prove the existence of god (or even a spiritual realm inhabited by spiritual beings). Both positions are logically untenable. That being said, the human brain, as far as I can see, is the most amazing thing this vast universe has produced and it has served our species extraordinarily well. I don't think it is a stretch to say that our brains have enabled us to build our base of knowledge and civilization to unprecedented levels of sophistication (in spite of the mess we have made of many things) because humans have either consciously or intuitively employed the scientific methods of hypothesis, experimentation, and deductive and inductive reasoning to achieve what we have. The same scientific method(s) work just as well when exploring the atheist/theist arguments. After all, if you think about it, science really is a pure search for truth. So, weigh the evidence for yourself--what does it tell you? Most of the people I know who have been willing to free their minds from the fetters of preconceived ideas about why we are here and whether or not there is a purpose, have come to realize that on the continuum from belief/theism at one end to non-belief/atheism at the other end, the evidence stacks up pretty heavily at the atheist end. But, atheism is just as dogmatic as theism and it doesn't appear that there will ever be incontrovertible evidence that will settle the issue in one camp or the other. So, for me and my journey, I am left with the empirical evidence for what the cosmos, our earth and its geologic/paleontological story, and my mind tell me is logical --that this probably is all there is, that there is no life after death, that there is no god looking out for us, that it is up to us to solve the problems and create solutions to perpetuate our species. It was a very scary thing to relax and just let go of a belief in a benevolent god, but once I did it was an incredibly liberating and peace-inducing experience. For what it is worth, there are great groups of people out there, especially secular humanist organizations, that explore this kind of stuff in great depth and with great care and understanding.

• vomit
    vomit

Wanderer, I made the transition to atheism (in fact nihilism) from being raised in. For years after I would be plagued by my former beliefs in god. A large truck would drive past my house in the morning and I would wake up think that Armageddon was here at last.

Do you know what, it never happened my prayers were never listened to and any remenant of the belief in god disappeared. But people that cant make up their mind or " I can see both points" are still living in that fear.

If you are looking for a meaning. Well the one I concluded is.

<b>'Life is the meaning, we are just struggling to find the questions."</b> There is no other meaning but life itself, there is no "higher cause", there just 'is'.

Atheism is not an easy choice, it may even lead to depression, its not easy to accept things are pretty shitty, as that is just what people are capable of. The followers of god are the most murderous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit