IYO, what r the most problematic scripture(s) for dubs?...or lack there of

by *jeremiah* 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Zico
    Zico

John 20: 27 Next he said to Thomas: “Put your finger here, and see my hands, and take your hand and stick it into my side, and stop being unbelieving but become believing.” 28 In answer Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” Luke 21: 8 He said: “Look out that YOU are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time has approached.’ Do not go after them. Revelation 19: 1 After these things I heard what was as a loud voice of a great crowd in heaven. They said: “Praise Jah, YOU people! The salvation and the glory and the power belong to our God

• ANewLeif
    ANewLeif

Marcel,

If you asked a JW what would happen to them if the did go to a Jewish synagogue for Sabbath services and then showed them where the Apostle Paul did that as his custom, what reasoning line could they use to justify the discipline their religion metes out?

I don't understand how your response about reaching people even addressed the issue. The issue is that the First Century Christians could attend services of other religions and JWs cannot.

ANL

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

Thanks everyone.

none of the arguments could *impress* an active JW much. no showstopper.

Unfortunately, more often than not, this is right,...however,...I would like to build a very large arsenal of passages that are problematic to JW doctrine for myself.

________

6 And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says,
    "Let all God's angels worship him."

Why are the angels supposed to worship Jesus but "God's people" are not supposed to worship him?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

*jeremiah*

How many JWs would say they recognize they are spiritually helpless?

Mat 5:3

"Blessed are those who recognize they are spiritually helpless. The kingdom of heaven belongs to them.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Matt 8: 11 But I tell YOU that many from eastern parts and western parts will come and recline at the table with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of the heavens;
  • sir82
    sir82

2 Corinthians chapter 1, verses [can't remember]...anyway, JWs apply it as talking about the disfellowshipping described in 1 Corinthians.

The verse immediately preceding it talks about "this rebuke given by the majority..."

I.e., if the disfellowshipping was enforced by only a majority, there must have been a minority that didn't shun the offender. Paul did not condemn this minority.

Strangely there are no references at all to that verse in the JW indexes or CD-ROM. All thos millions of words written, and not a single reference. Imagine that!

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Amos 3:7
    7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

Ephesians 4:11-15
    11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
    12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
    13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
    14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
    15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Jeremiah 1:4-5
    4 Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
    5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

2 Timothy 1:8-10
    8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;
    9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
    10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

Malachi 3:6-10
    6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
    7 Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?
    8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
    9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
    10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

John 5:23
    23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Who, of all religions on earth today, has "the credentials of a
    true prophet?" I can see only two possible answers to this question:

1] The Society
    2] Nobody

If the Society does not claim to be a *real* prophet; a true prophet
    - - then wouldn't
    that mean that there isn't *any* actual prophet on earth today?
    The only other source of prophets would be "Babylon the Great,"
    wouldn't it? Isn't the Watchtower Society the only possible
    source of a real prophet? But if they deny being such a prophet,
    then wouldn't that mean that there isn't one single prophet on
    earth today? (Don Cameron)

Let's see if I have this straight. The Governing Body "takes the lead", we are repeatedly told. The Jehovah's Witnesses do not follow men, only God, we are even more repeatedly told. So, whom does the Governing Body lead? If they have no followers among the Jehovah's Witnesses, where do they have followers? Do they lead an empty procession with no people in it at all? What kind of leader has no followers? (Robert V Frazier)

• Death to the Pixies
    Death to the Pixies
    SlimboyFatsaid: Matt 8: 11 But I tell YOU that many from eastern parts and western parts will come and recline at the table with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of the heavens;

Why? Just curious why you personally think it is problematic.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It seems to say Abraham is in heaven.

Slim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit