Thinking of writing a book

by Dawn 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

I've been contemplating writing a book called "From the other side"

Basically a story about leaving the JW's. Only instead of focusing on what's wrong with the JW's (not that I wouldn't have a lot of material there!!) - I want to tell the story of how I rebuilt my life. My "audience" so to speak are those individuals who are thinking of leaving, or who have left but feel lost. I want to show them what it's like "On the other side" - that it's not easy, but it is worth it.

I'd like your thoughts, suggestions, comments, etc.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

there is a book The other side

there is a poster called theotherside

purps

• anewme
    anewme

Writing a book is a wonderful achievement for a human, especially a memoir.
    But it does take a story with enough drama to make people want to turn the page to see what happens next.
    It takes a bit of experience to write in a way to make the reader care about the characters in the story.
    But Im sure some people come by all that naturally.
    I took a class once on how to write your own story. I learned alot. I also would like to write someday.

One thing I learned....in order to practice writing one should begin to write and record ones thoughts daily and write about what you know.

Best wishes,

Anewme

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hold that thought and get it done!

• fifi40
    fifi40

Hi Dawn

I have software package designed to help people when writng books. Basically for a non fiction it advises that you break down into chapters titles first and then set out a goal that you wish to acheive for each chapter. For example, you may be thinking along the lines of

Chapter 1 - Thinking of leaving a religion - you could include you own experience, those of others, the reasons why people consider leaving a religion and reassurance that the reader is not alone.

Chapter 2 The Fear - To include al the anxieties people face when making such a momentous change in their lives, and again reassurance that others have faced these fears.

Chapter 3 Breaking point - The best way to leave etc

Chapter - Now you are free - The challenges faced and feelings you have when you are first seperate from the religion.

There are many more ideas for chapters that I can think of, Shunning, Making a new life, New friends, Learning to trust again, Getting help freeing yourself from the mind control you have been subjected to, Family members still in the religion and how to deal with them, etc, etc

Hope this helps

Fi

• jakes
    jakes

Dawn, I would say go for it.Writing my book was part of the healing process after all the discoveries and emotional turmoil I went through.Also the feeling of knowing that you will reach many people and help with their healing process after leaving a religion. I wish you all the best.

jakes

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I like it!!!

lisa

• hopie
    hopie

Hi Dawn

• hopie
    hopie

Hi Dawn......

I am happy to hear someone is thinking about a subject like this, it is a much needed topic to discuss. After writing my book "Going Undercover To Rescue My Daughter, From The Cult Of Jehovah's Witnesses", it brought me into association with so many that have expressed their difficulty in knowing how to heal . Adjusting to a normal life after being in a cult is the number one problem people have to deal with, most do not know how to get out of the fog.

Being a victim to mind-control techniques is in itself very difficult to get over, and then on top of that most have to suffer the loss of loved ones, (family and friends). For some it takes many years to get healed.

The suggestion of writing down your major thoughts into chapters first is a good beginning. I hope you do write this kind of book on this subject, it is much needed, and many will benefit from it.

Good luck

Hopie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit