The Standfasters

by dust 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dust
    dust

I don't know where to ask, but this section is probably better than both the Medical section and the Entertainment section. :)

Does anyone know what eventually happened to the Standfasters?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Which one?

• dust
    dust

The ones that broke away from the Bible Students during WWI because they (the Standasters) wanted to be politically neutral. Klein writes about the incident in the WT Oct 1, 1984. The only information I find about them is this schism, but I can't seem to find anything on if, how or when their organization came to an end.

• blondie
    blondie

Have you tried any of the Bible Student websites?

http://www.biblestudents.net/

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yearbook 1979 p. 113 Canada
    "A great work to be done"! Thousands to do it! How thrilling - to most. Some, however, started showing a spirit of opposition to direction from Brooklyn in carrying on the very work Russell had mentioned. A few individuals began to have ideas about 'taking over' from Joseph F. Rutherford, who had been duly elected to replace Russell. Not only was that spirit of rebellion seen in certain ones who had enjoyed fine privileges at the Society's headquarters in Brooklyn, but there were those in Canada who got these ideas as well. This, and the arrest of Rutherford and his associates on false charges in 1918, seemed to be about all the sincere ones could bear. It looked as though things were falling apart. Times of testing were upon one and all!

In Toronto about 30 persons withdrew from the congregation and formed their own group. They tried letter writing and other methods to draw away followers. But this activity died out in about two years. Also, at Montreal there were those who went off to themselves. Dissension that continued into the early 1920's greatly affected the Vancouver and Victoria areas. Former pilgrim Charles Heard originated a so-called "Standfast" movement that affected classes all over the Canadian West, many congregations being split 'down the middle' in numbers. Some dissidents formed their own local groups that openly attacked the Watch Tower Society, falsely charging that it had been abandoned by Jehovah.

All this internal pressure caused many to be disturbed. Eventually, however, it became clear that unworthy persons were being separated from faithful ones. (1John 2:19) It would take men and women of true faith and courage to do the great preaching and teaching work that yet lay ahead.

End quote

• garybuss
    garybuss

Watchtower 1964 7/15 pp. 442-443 From Small Beginnings to Spiritual Prosperity
    As if persecution was not enough trouble, the Devil began to cause divisions and fighting within the ranks of God's people in an effort to disrupt the organization from within. Some ambitious individuals in the organization began selfishly to seek power for themselves. They claimed that those in the headquarters of the organization, known as the Bible House, were compromising and were too broad-minded. They called them "broadviews". This, of course, led to confusion and misunderstanding among the brothers. What were they to do? Should they remain loyal to those in the Bible House or leave the organization? A number of persons who had prominent positions of oversight in the congregations left the organization. They called themselves the "Standfasters", getting their name from the Bible book of Galatians where, in the Authorized Version of the Bible, it speaks of standing fast in the "liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free". (5:1) The Standfasters soon began wrangling among themselves.

Watchtower 1984 10/1 p. 22 Jehovah Has Dealt Rewardingly With Me
    as told by Lloyd Burtch
    Shortly after my baptism in 1918, my loyalty to fellow Bible Students was put to the test. World War I was raging, and even though the most prominent brothers had been unjustly imprisoned over the war issue, the need for Christian neutrality was not fully appreciated by those then taking the lead. A few who saw the issue clearly took offense and separated themselves from the Bible Students, calling themselves Standfasters. They warned me that if I stayed with the Bible Students I would lose out on being of the "little flock" of Jesus' anointed followers. (Luke 12:32) Mother, though not yet dedicated, helped me to make the right decision. I could not see myself leaving those from whom I had learned so much, and I therefore decided to take my chances with my Bible Student brothers. It really was a test of loyalty. Since then, I have observed many similar tests of loyalty. When mistakes are made, those not wholly loyal at heart seem to pounce upon them as an excuse for quitting. Compare Psalm 119:165.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Try this page, its the "Daughters of the Watchtower." It is a list and short history of all the break off groups including the Standfasters.

http://www.biblestudents.net/history/daughters_tower.htm

W.Once

• Londo111
    Londo111

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHhhotG9Ipw&feature=youtu.be

This video was interesting. But something stood out, a point he makes a little after the 40 minute mark.

In 1919, why didn't Jesus select the Elijah voice society (Standfathers) as the Faithful Slave? After all, Rutherford encouraged the Bible Students to sell war bonds, but the Standfathers were against this. And they taught all the same stuff (no Trinity, no immorality of the soul), ect..

• prologos
    prologos
    Londo111: --After all, Rutherford encouraged the Bible Students to sell war bonds, but the Standfathers were against this.

If this is factual: wow, Rutherford encouraging to sell war bonds, as a lucrative sideline no doubt, the crass mercantilism is possibly exposed once more. It shows too, that the well oiled juggernaut is not out because of being wrong, or at fault, or held to account by "god", or guided by the peaceful spirit that is supposedly "beyond all power that is normal" ; - wt prevails because it is big, not because it is true, or right. right?

• Londo111
    Londo111

I meant to say buy war bonds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit