Besty + Sweet Pea = Its A Family Affair

by besty 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• besty
    besty

what a few days!

this time last week I was not even considering The Big Chat with Sweet Pea. Seven days on and:

Sweet Pea has chucked out all her WTS books

Sweet Pea is never going to another meeting and has told her Mum so

Sweet Pea has her own JWD username and several topics under her belt

Life is surprising sometimes. Majorly in this case - I have always prided myself on my low-reactor personality but WOW - blow me over.

In any case its all good news and I too crossed my own Rubicon tonight by calling my JW family and letting them know that it is no more meetings for us. Mum was understandbly upset and older brother elder was hurt and defensive. Of course they looked to blame external factors such as lack of study, prayer, bad association, lack of effort, my drink problem (Hic), unspecified emotional disorder and general badness on my part. On another post I will mention some of the more hurtful stuff but I know they were trapped in a corner and lashing out.

All in all a very eventful phonecall which I was dreading and is now in the past - boy am I looking forward to the future - you know the saying about the elephant in the living room? I feel like I just 12-bored the elephant....result...

Sweet Pea will post her own experience with her Mum which is also worth a read...

• dawg
    dawg

That's it, stand up!!!!! way to go man!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

congrats besty and sweetpea........

• horrible life
    horrible life

Now you two, don't y'all go off the deep end now. Don't go buying too many of those fireworks in July. You may get demonized.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

YEAH!!!! WHO DA MAN?!

• Gopher
    Gopher
    On another post I will mention some of the more hurtful stuff but I know they were trapped in a corner and lashing out.

I must say I really think this is a terrific perspective to have. (I know when things are taken personally, it's so easy to over-react, and in the eyes of the JW such reaction would only prove them right.) As has often been said on this forum, the best way to deal with JW relatives who think or say these bad things is to just live a successful and good life (in spite of the fact that you've joined Satan's wicked world).

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    On another post I will mention some of the more hurtful stuff but I know they were trapped in a corner and lashing out.

I know what you mean by that. When I told my mother that I wasn't attending meetings anymore, I was shocked by the really hurtful, mean things she said. It was a very personal attack, meant to hurt in the deepest way possible. I don't know how I did it, but I did not respond in kind and remained very calm. After a month or so, she came by and apologized, and we have an agreement to not talk about religion.

I wish the both of you the best. It really is a freeing experience when you finally tell your family.

BB

• besty
    besty

thanks kindly I will update y'all when I have had the feedback from the friends n family regards PM

• carla
    carla

Congrats to you both!!! Happy future.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Way to go!!!!

I clearly recall the phone call to my wee brother, who was still a MS at the time. After confirming that I wasn't joking he stated "oh well, that's that then. I can't have anything more to do with you".

As it happened he then travelled several hundreds of miles and took a boat across to our island, to spend a couple of hours convincing me of the error of my ways and to console the family. I pointed out this fact to him and then compared it to the complete lack of effort he had made with our sister who wasn't even DFed at this point. He was understandably dumbfounded, confessed that I had a point, and the conversation swiftly petered out.

Since that week we have never spoken another word, and he has still never seen his two beautiful nephews, whom I get to spend time with on a regular basis. He was even disgruntled that my parents kept a photo of my wedding day on display, citing that I no longer exist to him.

His loss...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit