She asked for money

by noontide 29 Replies latest jw friends

• noontide
    noontide

I went to visit my parents last night. I’d been there for about 10 minutes when my mother looks at me and asks if I can give her 20 dollars. Sure, no problem. I start reaching into my pocket to see just how much money I have, when she mentions that on Sunday they are going to have a “special brother” coming from Bethel and she wants to give him some money. I froze when she said this and asked her what money she was planning on giving him. Of course she mentions it’s the money I’m about to give her. It took about a second for my blood to boil. Why would I want to give this joker my money? Technically it’s my money she is handing over to him. I kept my cool (outwardly) and smiled and told my mother that I’d forgotten that I spent the money on gas on my way over (lie). So she says, “Well just be sure to get it before Sunday and so I can give it to him.” I mumbled something and left the house. I was pissed!

A few things; my parents are on a fixed income so they have to watch their expenses. Now, I’m not a cheap person, if they need anything I’ll be more than glad to get it for them or help them with any expenses. Another thing, my mother NEVER asks for anything. There are times when I have to force them to accept things because otherwise even if they need something they won’t ask. So why is she asking money for this!? I don’t want to give money to this “special Bethelite speaker”. I guess one could argue that I gave the money to my mother and whatever she decides to do with it is her business. But the thing is, I know where the money is going to end up. I don’t want to support her cause; I don’t want to help this moron out! Arggg!!!!! I’m getting mad as I type this. Voting time again everyone. Should I give the money to my mother? Or should I just get her a nice blouse, or a pair of shoes or anything else, just as long as this joker does not get my money. I figure she already hates me for leaving the truth, so how much worse can it get if don’t give her 20 dollars? I’ll go by the majority of votes. I vote no.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I vote NO

he needs to get a real job like the rest of us.

purps

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

No!

Sorry for laughing at your sad story

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Yea...just tell her no. But maybe you can offer to take your parents and the Bethel brother out to lunch after the meeting. Helping out is helping out.

lisa

• restrangled
    restrangled

Don't do it! I just had this conversation with my mom about her own giving. She is a JW lifer and has given a lot of cash through the years to DO's CO's and visiting missionaries.

She has vowed never to do it again after her last experience. She donated a lot of nice clothing to a missionary to take back to South America along with $1000.00 in cash for the KH there or the "brothers"

The Missionary couple promptly booked themselves a first class ticket back to where they came from......nary a thankyou to my mom.

I also know of a DO that spent many a dollar buying jewlery, dinners out, etc., for women he was fond of and loaned them money for attorneys.

Cash is never a good thing. Keep your wallet closed!

r.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I know how you feel! I got so I wouldn't buy my mother anything. Once, I had bought her several new dresses; the dresses ended up in a garage sale to raise money for the minister of her church. This man has money coming out of his ears, and wears the best suits and shoes, and diamond jewelry. My mother is living-- was living on a pension and some inheritance money. I hate to think about how much money she gave away!

I do remember buying her coat that she DID wear! Praise Jah!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..No!..Everybody has to earn a living except him?..Tell him to dance for Nickles(5 cents) outside a busy Supermarket..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Quandry
    Quandry

You sound like a wonderful, respectful son.

If your mom knows that you are no longer associated in any way with the WTS, I wonder why she asked you for this money, letting you know where it was going? She must have known that you wouldn't like giving it to her for this purpose.

I hope that you keep giving the necessities. But please let mom know that this man is not hurting for anything and shouldn't be getting money from someone on a fixed income. Wonder if his ticket down was first class.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Give her the twenty dollars, just make sure it is after he leaves. Tell her to get something for herself.

• sspo
    sspo

Help your mother but not the brother.

While we work our butt off to pay rent or mortgages, many of them are flying all over the world on vacation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit