Favourite Biblical verses?

by greendawn 15 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

What are your favourite Biblical verses? Even some ex JWs may have become atheists but may still be fascinated by some.

Someone told me his favourite verse was "Thou shalt not go hungry", he was always out of work and liked stealing, but according to him this was one of the commandments given to Moses. You must never allow yourself to become hungry whatever is needed to remedy the situation.

I like: "Get to know the truth and it will free you" interstingly the JW truth oppresses and therefore can not be the real truth.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

'...maybe he has excrement and has to go to the privy'

• journey-on
    journey-on

John 8:15 (KJV): "Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man."

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

These are just a few. I love the Psalms also.

Romans 8:14-15 Because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

Hebrews 13:5b-6 Because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (I kept this verse a number of years ago when going through rough times)

Matthew 22:37-40 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Galatians 2:20-21 The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"

Ephesians 2:4:10 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions-it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

• greendawn
    greendawn

These verses are also useful for showing the wrongness of the JWs who are very judgemental and do not understand that without the adoption by the Spirit they can not be sons but slaves in the household of God calling him Lord rather than Father. That's the case with most JWs. They also failed to grasp the importance of love and so remain very legalistic in their approach.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I kinda dig that one where Eglon is on the crapper and Ehud comes in and stabs him but he is so fat that Ehud cant get his knife out of Eglon. Then since Eglon is on the throne "easing nature" his people dont find him for a while because they think he must have found an interesting story in the Awake! er I mean Readers Digest

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

IP-SEC I had to laugh, that was another favourite of mine! I like the bit that goes,'Now Eglon was a very fat man,' I imagine the narrator of a Walt Disney movie saying that.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

What I really admire about the God of the Bible is that he/she/it loves animals and is willing to prove it.

Here is a wonderful example.

Aften he/she/it decided that the only way to deal with the Amalekites, as he/she/it was not up to a miracle that day, was to resort to total and complete genocide ( including babies ) he/she/it realized that if he/she/it asked his Israelite hit-men to polish off the humans in the land, the poor domestic animals would suffer from not being cared for by their human hosts. What should one do? Spare the humans? No, that would not be possible as he had already levied a 'hit' on them and anyway, they all had bad breath. Only a God could come up with the correct answer - kill all the animals too! Brilliant, if Hitleresque thinking.

2 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Am'alek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.

3 Now go and smite Am'alek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

HS

• greendawn
    greendawn

IP SEC if you mention the Eglon story to the dubs they will start going on about him oppressing jehovah's people and about the Moabites being the result of incest and that they had in the past trapped the Jews with their pagan women. -Hilary the god of the OT is severe, though at times this is justified, notice how the WTS falls back on that god to intimidate their followers with.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Greendawn,

-Hilary the god of the OT is severe, though at times this is justified.

Is killing animals to prove some percieved, primitive, moral point ever justified? The God of the OT is not just severe, but an insecure misogynist with sociopathic tendencies.

In the NT he fares little better as he ( she/ it etc. etc ) is quite prepared to continue in his mode of genocide by, according to his firstborn Son, destroying the majority of humankind at the end of the 'broad road that leads to destruction' and giving life to an elitist and relatively few. Not very nice if you ask me.

My proof in another favorite scripture :

Now Herod had been very angry with the people of Tyre and Sidon; but they came to him with one accord, and having made Blastus the king's personal aide their friend, they asked for peace, because their country was supplied with food by the king's country. So on a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat on his throne and gave an oration to them. And the people kept shouting, 'The voice of a god and not of a man!' Then immediately an angel of the Lord struck him, because he did not give glory to God. And he was eaten by worms and died"

Now, what kind of person who supposedly has the wisdom of the universe and far beyond at his fingertips, who even understands George Bush when he speaks, sends a hit-angel to kill by intestinal worm an overweight, pathetic, murderous braggart because he is jealous? Now, if he had Herod Killed for being a mate of Caligula and being responsible for the death and torture of hundreds of innocents, then this might be understandable, but he did so because he was jealous of Herod and his bright shiny suit.

HS

PS - Just pulling legs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit