Congregational Meals on Wheels

by bronzefist 12 Replies latest jw friends

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

When I was an unbeliving husband my ex had a serious health issue (cervical cancer) and lots of "sisters" would bring my three kids and I lots of meals. It was one of the things that really impressed me. Anyone know if things like that are still done? Or have you had similiar experiences? I haven't seen that kind of thing lately. ( Tried attending for seven months, but had to become inactive once again to bring down the stress levels.)

brzfst

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

saw it happen for some people, not for everyone in need.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Jw's just don't do this on a regular basis. Usually, there is an underlying reason.

This may sound very insensitive, and not politically correct, but... Were most of the sisters that brought food, SINGLE?

My brothers exwife, was disfellowshipped for adultery, and he filed for divorce. The sisters came out of the woodwork.

They wanted to babysit, cook, clean, or just let him cry on their shoulder.

• EnlightenedMind
    EnlightenedMind

I agree with Hortensia. Some people got the special treatment, others didn't.

My brothers exwife, was disfellowshipped for adultery, and he filed for divorce. The sisters came out of the woodwork.

Soooooo true! lol

• Xena
    Xena

We had a lot of help with yard work, food prep and housework when my mom had cancer and was dying. Also when my ex husband was in the hospital for 3 months.

Just like with anything else there are good people, bad people and indifferent people.

• Had Enough
    Had Enough
    Just like with anything else there are good people, bad people and indifferent people.

So true!!!

BUT JWs are supposed to be different from the "world" and to be identified by their "love", aren't they? At least, that's always what I was taught...but of course, I got to see that wasn't true, time and time again. It all depended on who needed help and on who was a caring organizer of the good, the bad and the indifferent.

Had Enough

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

JWs are different from the world. Most of my mom's 'worldly' friends helped out when my dad was sick. Couldn't get but one or two visits by JWs when my dad was in hospital/hospice for 6 mos. Relatives visited. Neighbors visited and kept up her yard. Never met a single JW the entire time I was there with her, and some weeks it was alot. I had to go scrounge up magazines for her at one point from a KH on a sun. morn. since no one at halls will ever EVER answer the phones! (what's up with that, ex-brothers??)

• nsrn
    nsrn

My elderly, sick "faithful" parents have had lots of meals brought to them by their friends from the hall. I think it's kind hearted folks doing the right thing. I'm sure there are some people at the hall that don't participate in helping with their meals, just like at my Methodist Church.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

It's not just JW's that do this but other religions and churches also lend a helping hand when a member is sick, disabled or just having emotional problems.

I don't think JW's have the market on this one!

nj

• blondie
    blondie

The philosophy around here was that if the JW had relatives/family locally that were non-JW, they were supposed to take care of their family members. Only when local family shunned the JW relative did some sisters help. You found that the brothers did little but "supervise."

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit