MIT Scientist: 'Alarm over climate change is based on ignorance...

by Bryan 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Bryan
    Bryan
    What happened is that in spite of people like yourself working hard to infect everyone with your we-can't-hurt-the-planet-no-matter-what-we-do abject silliness,the grown-ups in charge took action and the problem has been substantially mitigated and is on it's way to being solved.

Sixofnine,

Do you think you can debate without trying make others look lower than you?

And please tell me... what did the "grown-ups" do for us to stop this acid-rain. And please provide links to scientific documentation. Unless of course you're just throwing words hoping some will stick.

And yes, we can and do hurt the earth. But, I believe that even if we went to zero emissions tomorrow, the planet would not stop warming.

Just let her breath.., would you.

Bryan

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Bryan, check out earthship.com, I did a lot of research on self sufficienty, I came up with my own system, it a mix of a bunch of ideas.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Thanks A-C.

There is some info here as well.

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/water/az1052/harvest.html

http://www.builditsolar.com/index.htm

I do know a solar heater will work well here.

Bryan

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

A-C,

I grew up in northern New Mexico, and had friends that had earthships built. When we built our home, we used passive solar heat as our main heat source, and a wood burning stove for secondary heat on those long winter nights. If I ever get out of California, I will build an earthship for my next home. I think they are asthetically please as well as economical and evironmental.

As an aside, in an Architecture class I took in high school, Micheal Reynolds claim in and lectured on designing more eco-friendly homes. He was a nice guy, though I can't say as much for his mother. She was the sole reason for my total dislike of school during and after the second grade. Her favorite thing to do was to smack her students on the back with a yardstick she used as a cane.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

And please tell me... what did the "grown-ups" do for us to stop this acid-rain.

This:

link: http://www.epa.gov/airmarkets/progress/progress-reports.html

Link: 2004 Acid Rain Program Progress Report - 10 Years of Achievement

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

thank you six of nine, you took the words right out of my mouth. "what ever happened to acid rain" indeed. I think it might have had something to do with certain laws passed on certain industries to drastically reduce the acid rain problem, and that worked. I guess since nobody really heard much about that side of it, we are to assume acid rain just magically dropped off the radar, another "crazy" scientific goof.

in the case of acid rain, some lawmakers apparently didn't have their heads up their asses and did something about it. but as usual, since that happened more than 3 days ago, we forgot all about it.

• Bryan
    Bryan

I'm really glad the polution of China and India don't affect us.

According to hundreds of scientists, the EPA hasn't had to do too much work... Thanks God!

"Perhaps the best example of the contributions of scientists to a large, complex issue is the National Acid Precipitation Assessment Project (NAPAP). This project entailed hundreds of scientists working in small groups over a period of 10 years at a cost of $550 million."

"Ignoring the findings of the $550 million, 10-year NAPAP study is among the most egregious and costly errors ever made by Congress and EPA."

"The NAPAP findings were submitted to Congress in 1990. Because the study's findings minimized the impact of acid rain caused by humans, Congress and the media completely ignored them."

Sounds a bit like today. If you don't agree the earths warming is caused by human... and can be stopped by humans, then you are not credible.

http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=20522

Bryan

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Quote: "And yes, we can and do hurt the earth."

So which is it Bryan? We "can and do hurt the earth", or, "anything commented on by any scientist or researcher wrt the environment that makes an action claim that would in any way impact business-as-usual, can only be bogus and alarmist"?

Your philosophy is radical, not conservative.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Six, you should know there is no black and white issues concerning our planet. We do have warming and all the legeslation in the world will not stop it.

We poor chemicals into our rivers and hurt the planet; we do hurt the earth. What we see and hear is media driven and the media loves train wrecks. Everyone has a politcal agenda. Instead of jumping on a bandwagon, why not set back and take in all the facts.

We can clean up our act, go greener, which I believe in, but it will not stop our planet from going through what she has been going though for millions of years.

"The seismic jolt that unleashed the deadly Solomons tsunami this week lifted an entire island meters out of the sea, destroying some of the world's most pristine coral reefs."http://www.chinapost.com.tw/news/archives/international/200749/106664.htm

Our planet did this in a matter of seconds. We did not cause it. We could not have stopped it.

This is what I'm saying. I'm not a conservative. I'm a regestered Independent. Take polotics out of it and the image becomes clearer.

Bryan

• zagor
    zagor
    Could it be that some scientists are pushing global warming to bring in fresh new government grants? Just a thought.

Possibly some but this is now a worldwide movement in scientific community not one off incident. And number of scientist supporting that is growing all the time. I find it hard to believe that all those people are wrong and one scientist is right even if he is a professor from MIT, so what?!? It wouldn't be a first time that a MIT professor is a subject to political pressure within. MIT gets funding from many private corporations and talking openly against things that bring money to those big donors is not a very carrier-wise thing to do .

Another thing is that you will never get a 100% consensus in any scientific field if you just look under the surface. There is an aweful lot of disputing and mud digging until things get settled (Well maybe not in Mathematics but everywhere else for sure) the thing about GW is that it already had been through this phase for decades now and only few scientist are disputing it now. It is just that this time around disagreements in this instances got the attention of press and public who, not knowing much about the issue anyway, now assumes that the whole issue is contested, which is not.

It is like when someone comes to this board and starts defending WTBS and telling us we are all wrong. A wise person reading it certainly would not conclude that because of this one person's experience or even a few majority of us must be wrong. Correct? Well that's how I see GW issue. I've read enough of reputable and accepted academic findings that lead me to believe that this is real and is happening whether we accepted it or not, which becomes a more psychological issue why we don't want to accept it than a scientific one. IMHO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit