Does anybody own or want a scooter?

by moshe 14 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

I used to have a little Honda 50cc Spree scooter. it was fun to ride to the store and just putt around the country- it was just too slow. Lately with gas creeping up I have decided maybe I should get another scooter as I just can't justify spending so much on gas to meet my friends for a drink and a hamburger. I have my eye on this Roketa 150cc Capri scooter - I can buy it locally at wholesale, so it won't set me back much. Is this a good idea or should I just accept my wife's excuse that a 57 year old grandpa is too old for a scooter ?

alt

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

No, your not to old for a scooter but have you thought of going electric? In Canada ther are stupid laws on electric scooters, they can't go faster then 30kh, I don't how that is in miles but it's not very fast.

• anewme
    anewme

Moshe, my husband is an electrician and at one of the jobs he did last month the householder was tossing an old Honda Aero Scooter. It was all there but did not run. My husband being also a mechanic, saw the possibilities and offered to take it and the paperwork from them.

He got it running and registered and new tires etc and Saturday rode it around the property for the first time! He said he wasnt sure of its power to take the steep hill down to the main road. But he was pleased.
    I think though he plans to sell it on craigslist.org. Where we live (steep canyons) it is not practical. But for a putt-putt around town it would be VERY PRACTICAL AND VERY ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY (compared to driving a 4door sedan or SUV to the quick stop or the post office etc.)

Anewme

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I was thinking myself about an electric bike. No inspections, no special liscense, and no gas.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

RE: Canada's 30 km/hr = U.S. 18 mph

I have a friend that has built his own e-bike. It's a bicycle with an electric motor-hub in front, and a battery pack to power it.

The legal limit on speed for these things in the U.S. is something like 25 or 26 mph (~40 km/hr) - plenty fast. I think that they will do this, and a tad more... so one needs to keep an eye on the speedometer. *grin*

He claims that they are really fun - as you can pedal, and then kick in the electric motor and zoom around - with minimal effort pedalling. (Plus you get the exercise of pedalling - if you want).

I'm not sure of the cost... I think that it was around $1500 or so... a tad pricey... but fun. No fuel to buy - just recharge it overnight.

Range? Not sure of that... but I think it was getting something like... well... come to think of it... range varies - depending on how much one pedals. I am thinking something around 25 to 35 miles though... probably more.

Heck... to recharge the batteries... hook up a solar panel, and a regulator, and it'd be 'free' from the sun. *wide grin*

Regards,

Jim TX

• moshe
    moshe

Where I live the limit for unlicensed scooters is 25mph, but all the 49cc scooters being sold run at least 35-40mph. the dealers say nobody gets bothered as long as you stay below 35mph. My last two wheeler was a 250cc motorcycle, so I am thinking a 150cc = 60mph scooter would take care of my needs.

• sspo
    sspo

Go for it.

My father rode one at 75

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Susie wants an Aprilia Scarabeo.

http://www.apriliascarabeo.com/en/index.aspx

And she's not waiting for the "new system" to get one.

~Sue

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

as long as i have testosterone, i will not own a scooter. i don't look down on guys that own one, it's just, my pride will not let me do it.

• animal
    animal

Ditto... I prefer my 95 Cubic Inch. Besides, I would look funny on a scooter in my chaps and beanie.... hehe

I see many of the scooters now around town here, very practical in the city. I do not see them on the highways tho, too dangerous.

Animal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit