Norway

by InquiryMan 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

In Norway, the ombudsman of childrenĀ“s welfare intervened and a lot of fuss were made when it was made clear that JWs endorsed corporal punishment in their publications even though it was banned by law. It was even mentioned in the national news. The coordinator was even interviewed on TV and the day after it was proven from the WT indexes that he had been lying.... I remember it was very embarrassing. In order to adress the situation, small labels had to be inserted into the literature with alternative wording. I remeber we were called to the KH in order to perform this manual task. A neutral word like discpline (or tukt, in German: Zucht) was used instead of referring to spanking or literal punishment. When the original translated text deviated from the original english text, alternative bible passaged were referred to or and footnote was added stating the according to Norwegian law corporal punishment is not allowed. I also remembered that in public talks even some elders spoke against it, saying corporal punishment was cruel and not according to the bible. JWs also ceased disciplining their children in this way in the KH, although I doubt it was ever so widespread as in the US, cause the public sentiment and culture has been against it. On a personal note, I remember relating this to an American family living on a caribbean island. they were horrified that this was banned in my country, and shook their head in disbelief when we told them that the literature had been changed. They were also schocked to be told that JW got financial support from the state...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Very interesting. I have wondered how they deal with this issue in Scandinavia. I have heard two exact opposite views from the platform in the UK. Some speakers say the Bible is against physical punishment (they say the shepherd's staff was for giving direction not abuse) and others have said that worldly views against physical punishment should not deter Christians since it is proper under some regulated circumstances and mandated. I remember some disagreement in the ranks about this issue when it was studied from the Family Happiness book in the late 1990s which appeared to argue for smacking. .

Slim

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    (Proverbs 23:13) 13 Do not hold back discipline from the mere boy. In case you beat him with the rod, he will not die. . .

this is the biblical view..

since jws pride themselves on not compromising on bible rules or priciples even when goverments say otherwise then why did they do so here.

they should be fighting for the right to hit their children and should be prepared to pay fines and serve jail terms if necessary if that is what the bible demands

• happy man
    happy man

Here in Scandinavia it is Forbideen by law hitt the children, this is also what is the law fore JW, when I was elder we have been learnd that punishment is not to hitt, it cane bee done in other ways, so here this is a bigg no, no, and this is very good fore the children I think that soemhave been dfd fore not following this ruel here, at least put on restriktions, i have one remark here, even if I hate when some hitt children it seeems that JW have more hard ruels foe peopel who hitt children then if they abuse them sexual,cane some answer why?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

strange they would work so hard to change this when they agree spanking is from the bible.

but not blood transfusions.

• kifoy
    kifoy

One example I found: <http://www.nospank.net/n-p32r.htm> and also <http://nospank.net/n-f73.htm>.

I remember my father sitting long hours cutting and pasting in these small labels in the "family book" and the "paradise book". I thought it was a bit strange. The people that were buying these books (this was when we still were selling them, not giving them away), would of course see that something was changed in the text...

But I can't remember any change in the behaving of the JWs. There were no warning against spanking from the platform, as far as I can remember. But one could not officially meen that spanking was okey.

kifoy

• read good books
    read good books

The Witnesses always cave in their principles when it's convenient for the organization, not for the individual. I think they should take the elders down in the basement and slap the sh*t out of them and leave the kids alone.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Well, it sounds like they are using that old Theocratic War Strategy out of fear of men: if something's going to get you in trouble, just change it and lie about it. What a way to lean upon Jehober, huh?

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

Faith, hope, and love is the true foundation. Some countries ban alcohol, some ban spanking, some places ban soliciting for donations, etc. They can't ban the fruits of the holy spirit successfully though, as Galatians 5:23 points out. So Jehovah's Witnesses grow on whatever soil they're on; it's Jehovah's soil, after all, which he's given to the "sons of men".

• Omegaman
    Omegaman

I remember recently a " brother" gave a talk on dicplaning children and he never once quote that scripture but mentioned that displane or the rod is showing the child right and wrong ...I dont agree with beating one's child but we see how the society quotes scripture or not ..unbelievable

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit