Following Threads where I have posted

by SEAKEN2001 12 Replies latest jw friends

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

I just figured out today how to bypass the login sequences every time I reply to a thread. But I am still miffed that I cannot follow the threads I have posted in without hunting through all the topics, some of which I may have no interest in. Is there a way on this board to track my own posts? It seems a very poor design of the software to not allow you to sort threads according to your own interests. I am used to more flexibility in this regard and a little disappointed that this board is so hard to navigate. Maybe I am just lost and you can all direct me in how to use the board more affectively?

If this is as good as this board software gets, can we start talking about upgrading to a better system? I'm sure more would participate if it were better organized. Delphi, as one example, has free forums that are much easier to navigate and they support sorting and even blocking out. I'm sure there are other alternatives as well in the free forum arena. Why are we using this particular system? Is this preferred by the majority or has that never been considered? It's only a suggestion on my part and I will continue to participate reagrdless but I just was wondering if this has been discussed already and why this format was chosen. Or maybe it was not discussed and the person who set it up just chose what was available to him/her. That's fine. I appreciate the hard work of the forum sysop and don't wish to suggest that they have a lousy board. The discussion forum is invaluable and is a wonderful resource. I only object to the format of the software and wonder if it can be updated or changed.

Sysop? Comments? Anyone?

Sean

• LDH
    LDH

I know the kind of boards you mean, Sean. I do agree, sometimes I loose track of the threads that interest me cuz I can't remember the title of the thread.

I guess it's only become a prob. in the past six months with so many newbies and so many good threads.

My guess is that Simon is doing his best. If there is an upgrade available that might be nice. You might want to post this in the Technical forum.

I, for one, am going to donate via PayPal on Friday, as Simon pays for this all out of his own pocket, I believe. It will be my second donation.

Lisa

• Simon
    Simon

I'll see what I can do SEAKEN2001, I agree it would be useful. I think it would be nice to be able to get a list of other posts that someone has made whether it be "Boy, they made some good points, I'll see what else they have posted" or "Cripes, are they always this mad?"

The trouble with 'commercial' boards is that they either:

cost too much money
    don't provide the privacy/security required
    don't dandle the traffic volumes

I do my best but I realise that there is a lot of room for improvement. The next version should be available soon after the final version of Microsoft ASP.Net is released.

BTW: Thanks for thinking of me Lisa

• LDH1
    LDH1

Ummmmmm Simon, where's the link for PayPal, buddy?

• Mulan
    Mulan

Can't you just put a check on the little button to be notified if someone replies to your post? That's how I do it.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)
    "Those who know, don't say, and those who say, don't know."

• Simon
    Simon

Doh, I took it off to replace it with the 'Support Freedom' thingy - I figured there were some worthier causes than us...

You can send PayPal donations to [email protected] if you so feel inclined (thanks if you do BTW)

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Delphi, as one example, has free forums that are much easier to navigate and they support sorting and even blocking out.

I could offer some help here, but that depends upon whether you want to block me out. Or not.

Farkel
    Practical Class

"When in doubt, duck!"

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

Hey Marilyn,
    Good advice except you get a e-mail every time anyone posts to the thread (and not just to your post) and that can be a mess to sort through too! Done it, don't work for me.
    Rex

• teejay
    teejay

I liked the format of the old h2o. Where you could see the entire thread at once, see who's posted to it, click on the responses (people) you wanted and avoided everyone else. Way cool.

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

Marilyn and Simon,

I specifically DO NOT check the box in the posting area to be notified by e-mail. But I get e-mail notifications anyway. And as mentioned already by someone else, you get notified every time ANYONE posts to the entore THREAD. This happened on the UN/NGO thread and my e-mail got bombed with "notices". This is what I do not want and it is uneccesary if the forum software had the appropriate sorting mechanisms or pointers built in. Delphi, for instance, used to tell you when you signed on how many messages were addressed to you and offer to let you read them. Now, each thread is tracked and only those messages you haven't read are tagged. This is much more useful to me than having my e-mail spammed with notices.

Anyway, thanks for giving me an ear Simon. I appreciate what you are doing.

Sean

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit