Final Thought About Atheism

by The wanderer 69 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Talking about Penn State Mrs. Kid-A the fact of the matter is that it exists and they DO have
    evidence. However, it would take an open-minded individual to place a simple telephone call.

The group has been embraced by several professionals in the paranormal community for its stake in academia. Being a part of a well-known university gave PRS credibility and access to avenues that most independent researchers are denied. PRS also hosts a national paranormal conference every October called UNIV-CON.

I thought your discussion might benefit from Wikipedia's explanation of Paranormal Psychology. Here it is in part...

According to the Parapsychological Association, parapsychology is the scientific study of certain types of paranormal phenomena, or of phenomena which appear to be paranormal. [1] The term is based on the Greek para (beside/beyond), psyche (soul/mind), and logos (account/explanation) and was coined by psychologist Max Dessoir in or before 1889.

The scientific reality of parapsychological phenomena and the validity of scientific parapsychological research is a matter of frequent dispute and criticism. The field is regarded by critics as a pseudoscience. Parapsychologists, in turn, say that parapsychological research is scientifically rigorous. Despite criticisms, a number of academic institutions now conduct research on the topic, employing laboratory methodologies and statistical techniques, such as title="Meta-analysis">meta-analysis. [citation needed] The Parapsychological Association is the leading association for parapsychologists and has been a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science since 1969.
  • The wanderer
  • AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

While I accept and admit that there are certain things unexplainable (as yet) by modern science, such as:

twins who claim to know the moment of the other sibling's death, ill health, accident etc

close spouses doing the same as the above, or sharing physical experiences (such as sympathy pains in pregnancy, etc but more pronounced and fantastic)

the occasional "superhuman" event one hears of at times, such as a mother lifting a car off her child, yet she is a 100 pound weakling under normal circumstances

spontaneous human combustion

...and many others, I do NOT accept that this means there is evidence of the supernatural. It is simply the lack of our ability to explain precisely what has happened, and a need to do so. This is how the concept of (the) god(s) was formed in the first place. I do find such instances fascinating, heck, I used to watch stuff like 'In Search Of' on a regular basis. Fascinating, however, does not mean true.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I do NOT accept that this means there is evidence of the supernatural. It is simply the lack of our ability to explain precisely what has happened, and a need to do so. This is how the concept of (the) god(s) was formed in the first place. I do find such instances fascinating, heck, I used to watch stuff like 'In Search Of' on a regular basis. Fascinating, however, does not mean true.

Big Fat Giagantesco DITTO! AllAlongTheWT

Nvr

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

The Wanderer:

Wow! I almost have to admire you for sheer audacity.

But only almost.

You said (again!)

On a personal level, I really do not like being called more or less
    a liar when I do produce creditable sources. Again, I will produce
    creditable sources and the very first website with paranormal
    evidence.

The best way to avoid being called a liar is quite simply to avoid telling lies. You haven't done that. In fact, you've just repeated the same lies verbatim, despite having been called on them. I would dismiss you merely as a disingenuous phony, were it not for the absolutely bizarre repetition of a post that had just been shown to be completely false. I'm not sure whether it's a matter of utter contempt for those who don't agree with you, or an almost unparalleled stupidity but either way, you've shown that you're not capable of being involved in a serious discussion.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I'm not sure whether it's a matter of utter contempt for those who don't agree with you, or an almost unparalleled stupidity but either way, you've shown that you're not capable of being involved in a serious discussion.

Hey funkyd. Why hold back? Just tell us how you really feel! LOL!

I love this place!

Nvr

• jimbo
    jimbo

The wanderer....

It seems that you really meant it when you headed this subject "Final Thought About Atheism". After your first post on this subject you stopped thinking.

paranormal phenomena, or of phenomena which appear to be paranormal.[1] The term is based on the Greek para (beside/beyond), psyche (soul/mind), and logos (account/explanation) and was coined by psychologist Max Dessoir in or before 1889.

Paranormal phenomena by defenition is beyond explanation. Why suggest that something unexplainable is real??? If such phenomena were proven by scientific methodology it would leave the realm of paranormal and become a fact based science.

Paranormal phenomena is still unexplainable and may or may not exist in the real world. I personally am comfotable in saying that I really don't know!!!

Why can't you do the same???

jimbo

• Rescripting_myself
    Rescripting_myself

Wandering,

You have repeatedly pasted the same links as proof to support your position that credible sources in the names of Penn and Oxford universities are conducting research into the paranormal with the implication that they can only be doing so because paranormal activity is real.

Other members of this board have followed your links and found that the linked institutions do not indeed conduct such research.

Now my two cents worth of contribution is:

• What do you want us to find in the linked institutions' websites that those like kid who have visited them and already relayed to us what they have found may have missed? Since they did not find what you had said they would find, why don't you post what it is that they are not getting on those websites?
    • As to the other links that you have provided to societies/associations of people interested or making allegations on para-psychological experiences, do you consider such alleged experiences to be on the same level with peer reviewed published research of the kind that we would expect from Penn and Oxford universities were they to conduct and publish such findings?
    • Rather than keep re-posting the same links, can you post a summary of one specific peer reviewed published finding from a researcher at Penn or Oxford or any other reputable academic institution with and provide a link to the paper?
  • Rescripting_myself
    Rescripting_myself

Wanderer

More questions to ponder,

• Even if Penn, Oxford or any other reputable university were to conduct research into the paranormal, would this not just be a bid to examine if there is something into the alleged phenomena and not a conclusion that the phenomena exists? Isn't all research a finding out and not a conclusion? Wouldn't any conclusions have to await the research's findings?

RM

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear RM: Although, I am not a scientist or scholar concerning this matter,
    here is some helpful information designed to help you out with your questions.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit