Holidays

by BR25 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well the Watchtower, when it comes to wedding rings and other pagan things says "it's not the origin itself, but what it stands for today" so with that line of reasoning, christmas today is considered a christian holiday along with easter. halloween is an iffy one though. Alot of christians hold "harvest night" celebrations in place of halloween, and alot of christian kids wont dress up as devils or witches, but superheroes, even bible characters.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Even as a JW, my family always got together on Christmas Day for the traditional dinner. My husbands family will not cook a turkey or eat one on Christmas Day - but will eat one the next day.

Recently we have started exchanging gifts with my brother and sis in law and the kids. My mother and sister don't want to participate in this.

I would love to decorate and have a tree - but that's just too much for my husband right now.

BB

• junctions-wife
    junctions-wife

ok as a lot of you know I wasn't a JW. But to me Christmas is more than celebrating Jesus' birth, It is about celebrating your life and what you have become that year and spending time with family and friends, Since we really don't know when Jesus was born shouldn't we keep Christmas in our hearts all year long not just one day a year. maybe I am wrong but that has always been my theory.

amanda

• poppers
    poppers

So, you've readily admitted you're a hyporcrite for having indulged in some holidays. Have you told the BOE about this lapse? Surely you want to be in good standing with the dictatorship, oops, the wise counsel of the discreet slave.

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

I know this is way late....

BR25, you didn't win that discussion. Coming from being a witness, you can't understand that not all Christians think alike about every single issue.

There's a difference between Halloween and Christmas, incase you haven't noticed(you just see them as holidays as the same).

For a Christian, Christmas involves honoring Chist, the gratefullness of his birth for our salvation. This is scriptural whether you want to believe it or not.

Halloween is not scriptural, so some might partake in the festivities of it...or they might not. some don't like the scary-ness of Halloween, but they like the candy, and fun costume side of it...it all varies a little.

You need to search the biggest reason for the beginning of Christmas, instead of thinking it was all just a bunch of Pagans in their false god celebrations. It was begun to bring the non-believers, to Christ. The Church leaders just used creativity to get the job done, period. Want to talk about origins? Don't get me started. Are you familiar with Egyptian Pyramids?......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit