NYTimes Editorial Today on Global Climate Change - More Evidence

by Seeker4 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/08/opinion/08sun1.html?th&emc=th

OK. I've been on here this weekend presenting evidence about this issue. Here's a bit more fodder for the discussion.

S4

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

NYT opinion pages are not well balanced sources. Dallas got their first April snow in over 60 years this weekend, damn global warming is bringing about all these winter storms. ;-)

• Frank75
  • SixofNine
    SixofNine

The Canadian National Post "business paper" article Frank75 posted to "counter" the NYT article, says the following:

" Even research from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change-- the United Nations agency that heads the worldwide effort to combat global warming -- is bereft of anything here inspiring confidence. In fact, according to the IPCC's own findings, man's role is so uncertain that there is a strong possibility that we have been cooling, not warming, the Earth."

But I just posted on another thread a quote from the 2007 IPCC report showing that it has a confidence level of 90% that man's activity is warming the earth. That is up some, but not very much, from their last report.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER
    Dallas got their first April snow in over 60 years this weekend, damn global warming is bringing about all these winter storms. ;-)

Educating yourself in the effects of global warming would help in this discussion.

Global warming will bring about extremes in weather....We broke the all time record for cold temps in April, where I live in the South. We've had 80 degree days for about a month...also breaking records.

Swalker

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

Global Warming is the new Y2K. If people were really concerned about Global Warming they would stop buying cheap Chinese goods. I believe I heard on NPR last week that by 2010 China's pollution will be more than the US. China has stated that is not in their interest to control pollution.

• Frank75
    Frank75
    But I just posted on another thread a quote from the 2007 IPCC report showing that it has a confidence level of 90% that man's activity is warming the earth. That is up some, but not very much, from their last report.

6of9

If you read the IPCC summary statement for policy makers 2007, it becomes perfectly clear that the 90% figure comes out of thin air. It is the SUBJECTIVE opinion of the authors of the report. The process through which this subjective opinion was arrived at is not mentioned.

Surely you of all people can see the WT style slight of hand. There may very well be "90% consensus" on the cause being from "human activity". The slight of hand is two fold, first not all scientists were allowed to participate in this political process therefore rendering such a statement as totally unscientific even biased, 2nd that saying human activity is the consensus in no way fingers CO2 emissions or singles it out. As I mentioned one IPCC contributor (Christy) dismisses entirely the GHG argument but believes it is Anthropogenic land use, agriculture, irrigation etc that is mostly to blame

The whole IPCC process is about as objective as Figure Skate judging.

I give the IPCC report a 4.9!

Frank75

• Frank75
    Frank75

Educating yourself in the effects of global warming would help in this discussion.

Global warming will bring about extremes in weather....We broke the all time record for cold temps in April, where I live in the South. We've had 80 degree days for about a month...also breaking records.

SWALKER

That is just not true. You need to read the comments by Hurrican expert Christopher Landsea of the Atlantic Oceanographic & Meteorological Laboratory. A contributing author for the UN's International Panel on Climate Change here:

Or the likes of Christy et al. 2007

Frank75

• P&C
    P&C
    Global warming will bring about extremes in weather....

Actually it's the opposite... When the planet is in a warm phase... as it's often done throughout history...the weather is MUCH MORE STABLE...

It's the Cool Phases...that bring on the harshest weather patterns.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/29/131501/1.ashx

P&C

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I wonder how long it's going to take for us to agree on anything regarding GW? We can all find sources that support our views but I'd like for it to be more definitive than that. Until it is, I guess we're just going to keep tossing this ball around!

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit