Try this quiz

by fullofdoubtnow 7 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

We just took this quiz. We actually got 10 questions completely right, between the four of us, and a couple of others partly right

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/religion/4694490.html

RELIGION QUIZ Faith no measure of religious literacy Author surprised how little knowledge many have of their own, others' beliefs

Hartford Courant

Quick: Name the Four Gospels.

How about the Ten Commandments? The Four Noble Truths of Buddhism? Seven Catholic Sacraments?

Hello? Anybody?

America purports to be a religious nation, yet what we know about religion is, well, sinful.

In his new book, Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know — And Doesn't (HarperSanFrancisco, $25), Stephen Prothero says it's time to teach religion in America — not devotion, but religion.

Prothero, who is head of Boston University's religion department, and others have found a shocking lack of knowledge about the religions to which Americans purport to belong — that lack exceeded only by Americans' ignorance of religions to which they don't belong.

This test of your religious acumen is from his book:

1. Name as many of the four Gospels as you can.

2. Name a sacred text of Hinduism.

3. What is the name of the holy book of Islam?

4. Where, according to the Bible, was Jesus born?

5. President Bush spoke in his first inaugural address of the Jericho road. What Bible story was he invoking?

6. What are the first five books of the Hebrew Bible (or the Christian Old Testament)?

7. What is the Golden Rule?

8. "God helps those who help themselves." Is that in the Bible? If so, where?

9. "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God." Does this appear in the Bible? If so, where?

10. List as many of the Ten Commandments as you can.

11. Name the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism.

12. List as many of the Seven Sacraments of Catholicism as you can.

13. The First Amendment says two things about religion. What are they?

14. What is Ramadan? And in which religion is it celebrated?

15. Match the Bible characters with the stories in which they appear. (Some characters may be matched with more than one story, or vice versa.

Characters: Adam and Eve, Moses, Jesus, Noah, Paul, Serpent, Abraham.

Stories: Binding of Isaac, Garden of Eden, Exodus, Parting of the Red Sea, Olive branch, Garden of Gethsemane, Road to Damascus.

The answers are on this link

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/side/4694491.html

• free2think
    free2think

That was fun! I got 7 right, and some of no 15..

• DJK
    DJK

Suprised myself with 9 right.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Missed No.2....got half of No. 10...missed No. 11...

Interesting quiz...wonder what the stats are?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Without Googling..here goes:

1. Name as many of the four Gospels as you can.

Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

2. Name a sacred text of Hinduism.

Uh...the Rig Veda?

3. What is the name of the holy book of Islam?

The Koran.

4. Where, according to the Bible, was Jesus born?

In the little town of Bethlem (Ephratha).

5. President Bush spoke in his first inaugural address of the Jericho road. What Bible story was he invoking?

Marching around the city of Jericho? I hope I'm right on this.

6. What are the first five books of the Hebrew Bible (or the Christian Old Testament)?

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy.

7. What is the Golden Rule?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

8. "God helps those who help themselves." Is that in the Bible? If so, where?

It might be in there, but I don't remember that one.

9. "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God." Does this appear in the Bible? If so, where?

Yes, it's in there. It's in the Gospels, somewhere.

10. List as many of the Ten Commandments as you can.

Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not desire your fellowman's wife, cattle, or other property. Thou shalt not have any other gods before my face. Thou shalt not kill. Honor thy mother and thy father. That's all I care to remember.

11. Name the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism.

Uhhh.....the middle path?

12. List as many of the Seven Sacraments of Catholicism as you can.

Sorry.

13. The First Amendment says two things about religion. What are they?

Congress shall pass no law respecting religion. That and the right to assemble peaceably.

14. What is Ramadan? And in which religion is it celebrated?

Ramadan is a month of fasting and good works towards the poor. It's an Islamic custom. I think it's celebrated in November.

15. Match the Bible characters with the stories in which they appear. (Some characters may be matched with more than one story, or vice versa.

Binding of Isaac: Abraham; Garden of Eden: Adam and Eve, Serpent; Exodus: Moses; Parting of the Red Sea: Moses; Olive Branch: Noah; Garden of Gethsemane: Jesus; Road to Damascus: Jesus, Paul.

Characters: Adam and Eve, Moses, Jesus, Noah, Paul, Serpent, Abraham.

Stories: Binding of Isaac, Garden of Eden, Exodus, Parting of the Red Sea, Olive branch, Garden of Gethsemane, Road to Damascus.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Got all right except two - the Catholic sacraments (only knew a couple), and I confused the four noble truths of Buddhism with what I could remember of the eight-fold path.

Fun quiz.

S4

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Skipped 11 and 13 - I don't know a lot about Buddhism or US constitution, got the rest right though.

Good quiz

• olvidado
    olvidado

Oh, I got 11, good mark. But I was surprised I could remember the 7 sacraments of the catholic church, it is incredible how the thing you learned as a child are still in your mind, even if you dont realise it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit