Why are people so afraid to question the authenticity of the Bible...

by zeroday 55 Replies latest jw friends

• zeroday
    zeroday

For thousands of years people have taken the Bible as the word of God. What would you do if you found out that it was NOT. How would your outlook on the world change.

Google "Authenticity of the Bible"

Would you be afraid to look...

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I googled "authenticity of the bible" and got a lot of links to pages by true believers, with logic like "I know it's true, therefore it must be true." anyway what do you mean by "authenticity?" obviously it's an authentic historic document, however, whether or not it is divinely inspired is seriously doubtful. And anyway that's an argument about something that can't be proved, and spare me your "proofs" that there is a god, sorry there ain't no evidence for such a critter.

• zeroday
    zeroday
    and spare me your "proofs" that there is a god, sorry there ain't no evidence for such a critter.

That is my point exactly...

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Such innate fear evolved for very healthy reasons, but it can be irrational and dysfunctional as well.

Fear of questioning god is a deep-seated - however irrational - emotion, rooted in a very functional evolutionary response - childhood dependency that is not allowed to question the more knowledgeable parent figures upon whom kids are dependent for food and survival knowledge.

In early human development children who doubted, questioned, strayed or disobeyed parents would die (and not reproduce). It is easy to understand how ideas about god, religion and fear of questioning it would also evolve and facilitate a lot of human dysfunction in the process of human history and prehistory.

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions
    What would you do if you found out that it was NOT.

What would you do if you found out that it WAS!

and spare me your "proofs" that there is a god, sorry there ain't no evidence for such a critter.

Can you show me proof that God doesn't exist?

I'm not saying this in anger or even annoyance. I think both are legitimate questions and yes, I am a Christian.

• zeroday
    zeroday

There is NO evidence of the original transcripts of the Bible at all. So If I were to write something and say it is the "WORD OF GOD" and could not prove it would you believe it. Apparently so...

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

God exists. He touched me with his noodley appendage.

Never doubt the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Learn more here. http://www.venganza.org/

• zeroday
    zeroday

You want me to show you proof of something that has never been proven. You show me proof that God does exist. Did God write the Bible, show ME proof.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

HA HA HA HA HA!!! What, like maybe reports of wars and famines and self-righteous cultists preaching drivel door to door? Or is the proof something different like him actually acting like the father that book claims he is?

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

It really does not matter whether or not one can show "proof that god doesn't exist."

In science and in logic, the onus to provide evidence or proof is on the one making the most outlandish claim.

The claim that god does exist is far more outlandish and less logical than the claim that he almost certainly does not and that life and the universe evolved in a bottom up manner. The claim that god exists as an unseen hand, guiding or originating such an evolution of life is also an extremely unscientific claim, until overwhelming evidence shows otherwise.

You prove god exists first, since you want the proof of something logically and scientifically credulous - the existence of a higher intelligence than what has evolved here on earth, bottom up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit