Gore is no expert....

by Bryan 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Bryan
    Bryan

A staunch critic of the climate change debate says Al Gore's Oscar for his film An Inconvenient Truth makes a mockery of the awards.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/423466/1005652

A top hurricane forecaster called Al Gore "a gross alarmist" Friday for making an Oscar-winning documentary about global warming.
    "He's one of these guys that preaches the end of the world type of things. I think he's doing a great disservice and he doesn't know what he's talking about," Dr. William Gray said in an interview with The Associated Press at the National Hurricane Conference in New Orleans, where he delivered the closing speech.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070407/NEWS/70407007

Bryan

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Attack of the weathermen! lol.

This is my local meteorologist:

I wonder if she believes in AGW? I wonder if the planet will get as hot as she is?

• moshe
    moshe

The Earth has been warmer than today and it has been much cooler in the past. We are due to go back to an iceage, so all this CO2 is probably a blessing for us.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I was a fan of Christine when she worked the day shift.

• Bryan
    Bryan

She's not a meteorologist! She's too hot!

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Gore may not be an expert, however with a Masters Degree in Environmental Science, I can say that I am an expert. Gore is doing perhaps the most important "warning" work that anyone has done in the history of the planet, and future generations will revere him as a prophet. People who claim that his data is flawed are exactly like those JW's who look at a Neanderthal skeleton and say "That can't be 100,000 years old, there were no people then." They already have their mind made up to reject anything which doesn't agree with what they already believe. Thats why Gore's film was titled "An Inconvenient Truth". The changes which are happening, and which will continue to happen, are going to inconvenience millions of human beings, and alter lifestyles. And they are TRUE, all you have to do is look at the changes in the icecaps over the last 30 years, which at both poles are smaller than they have been in hundreds of thousands of years. Or, check the atmospheric composition by using the ancient ice layers in the Greenland ice cap. Again, atmospheric CO2 is higher than at any time since the Cretaceous. Here are some changes which you can expect in your lifetime: Rising sea level, enough so that some coastal regions will be flooded. Continued shrinking of the ice caps, and melting of glaciers worldwide. Redistribution of rainfall as weather patterns change. Some regions will experience severe droughts and may become uninhabitable. This is not a punishment from Jehovah, but something people are doing to Earth, and to themselves.

• hambeak
    hambeak

Gore may be no expert but he sure interviewed a lot of them. How can you explain the melting of the poles and disappearance of the habitat of the polar bears and the possible demise of the species because they are drowning?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

gaiagirl,

Masters Degree in Environmental Science

Believe it or not, I have been looking for you.

I have one simple question: Is a rise in CO2 primarily the result of global warming or the cause of global warming, and on what data do you support your conclusion?

I ask because I don't know very many people who seriously question whether global warming is occurring. I know many people who question the assumptions about why global warming is occurring and who question the assumption that changes in human behavior will have an appreciable impact on global warming. If (1) the cause of global warming is not an increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide or (2) the rise in carbon dioxide is not primarily a result of human activity then it is an unavoidable reality that we can't stop global warming by changing our behaviors.

I am just waiting to see these particular cause and effect dots connected to my satisfaction before I jump onto the "REDUCE GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS" bandwagon. That is not to say that I believe human behaviors are not harmful. I drive a low emissions vehicle and I am something of a recycle Nazi. These choices make good practical sense to me, I am a conservative.

I have yet to see solid science to back up the assumption of cause for global warming. Without clear cause being solidly established I will resist recommendations for legislated change. I am a conservative. We aren't opposed to change but we have to know why it is necessary in order to support it. Best guesses are not justification enough.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I really can't imagine this is so tough. In addition to labeling phenomenon and detecting relationships between physical systems, establishing cause and effect for these relationships is the essence of all physical sciences.

If there is undeniable proof as to the cause of global warming (not whether it is occurring) why can't someone present this proof? If it is science then there is proof. If it is consensus then it isn't science, and scientists should stop pretending that it is.

I just want to see the proof of cause and effect, establishing that there is a relationship isn't enough.

Although, candidly, I am not even sure that a relationship has been established between atmospheric accumulation of carbon dioxide and global temperature. Certainly it can be demonstrated that they are both rising, but the same logic can be used to demonstrate that the advent and proliferation of cars resulted in increased use of amphetamines, methamphetamines, and barbituates. The conclusion derived only holds up to cursory scientific scrutiny unless an actual relationship can be established between the two.

For instance, if there has ever been an elevated global temperature during a geologic period of low atmospehric carbon dioxide accumulation then there is no relationship. Has there ever been such a period?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Auldsoul, with all due respect, I think you overcomplicate things.

C02 traps heat. The more you have, the stronger the effect.

Now I realize that climatology is way more complicated than this, but the fact that C02 is a greenhouse gas, this is just basic!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit