Marriage Question

by BFD 11 Replies latest jw friends

• BFD
    BFD

Is it a requirement for both the groom and the bride to be bapitsed JWs in order to get married at a KH? If so, does anyone know if this was a requirement back in the mid- 1970's?

BFD

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Yes, both have to be baptized and as far as I know in good standing.

The second part I'm not sure of>

nj

• jgnat
    jgnat

It appears that unbaptized publishers may be married in a Kingdom Hall, at the elder's discretion.

"However, on occasion the body of elders may decide to
    allow two unbaptized publishers, who are regularly
    associating and awaiting an assembly to get baptized, to
    be wedded at a Kingdom Hall. "

http://dbhome.dk/carlo/unit4b.htm

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Just for the record -- They can disallow you to get married in the KH if you are on reproof or if anyone in your wedding party is on reproof even if you are baptized.

• rockon
    rockon

Yes, it was a requirement back in the 70's. I was married in a kh in 1974. Because my then to be husband had just been baptized, some in the congregation disapproved so half of the congregation would not come to my wedding. But I got the last laugh, he was the one who helped me get out of the cult. Took a lot of years for both of us, but we are both out.

• BFD
    BFD

Thanks, everybody. Rockon- I'm glad that you got out.

This subject came up last night when I was talking with my sister. She roped in converted her now husband and they were married in the KH. That was the last time either of them stepped foot in a KH. Last night when I asked my BIL if he ever got baptised he said he did not remember. WTF! He must have but just blocked it out I guess or, maybe they are not really married! LOL

BFD

• FourMs
    FourMs

The elders did not allow my cousin to get married at the hall because she had just been reinstated. That's so weird. Even worse, half of my relatives (including my own sister) did not even go to the wedding because it was not at the hall. We went and the wedding was beautiful! I don't know how people can live with themselves while being so judgemental.

• Es
    Es

I reckon it has to do if the elders like you or not. My dad wasnt going to attend my wedding to a JW just because he didnt like the guy ( 1st hubby actually stood up to my dad and he didnt like it) anyway we were not allowed the kingdom hall even tho we were both baptised and in good standing, unless my dad came to the wedding.

Its utter bulls#*t they make up there own rules, I asked for them to show me in the bible where it says if a parent doesnt come we couldnt have the hall, he had nothing to say

es

• exwitless
    exwitless

Little Drummer Boy and I were married in the KH about 5 months before we were baptized. We were "in good standing" because we attended all the meetings, had our bible study every week, and went out in service. The elders made an exception for us because we were "doing so well". That was in 1993.

• Quentin
    Quentin

I was married in 1972 in the kh, my wife was not, nor has never been a jw...I suppose it depends on which kh you attend...as stated above appears jw's make their own rules when it comes to local matters...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit