Why a paradise earth is so appealing to JWs?

by Lady Lee 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Why a paradise earth is so appealing to JWs?

Well no one can say they look around at the problems today and can say they like everything they see. So a nice clean paradise world would be pretty great. Few Witnesses actually think about the tremendous clean-up that is in store for them. I know I tried hard not to think about it.

I couldn't really image a forever of learning everything in the world. Once I had learned everything some people hinted that maybe we would wander off to other planets to learn still more. That forever thing got me though. Mostly because I am very curious and I think that given the chance there are many things I would love to learn. But the earth is a finite place and I also worked hard to not think about boredom settling in after a few thousand milleniums.

I think the fear of death is a key factor for many people. We don't know what happens when we die. We mourn people when they die. I see a person on the street who reminds me of someone who has died and it always makes my heart stop for a moment. If we are honest we don't really see death as similar to sleeping. We dream when we sleep. It just isn't the same. I have seen a person when they died. I have held her hand. It isn't the same. So inspite of the WT propaganda that death is like a long sleep deep down I know it is different.

Because of our fear of death people will do things they normally would never consider. We hang on. We fight that battle. When I went to see my father just before he died he fought for every last breath he could take.

I think too that because we don't really know what happens next the fear of the unknown plays a huge factor in the JW belief that they will go to sleep and when they wake up everything will be wonderful. And family and friends will be there to greet them. No unknown. Everything is predictable.

That fear of the unknown is removed by the paradise fantasy. JWs will talk about what a paradise earth would be like and what kind of homes they would live in. I've heard some tell me which house they want to live in as they went from door to door. Personally I couldn't see that. I'm a little too practical.

My vision of the "new world" meant no electricity, no cars, no roads. None of the conveniences that most JWs take for grated today. No stores to buy our food. No clothing stores. No material because few people would have any clue how to make the material to make the clothes. And even if you found material you will have to sew it by hand because there is no electricity for the sewing machine. They just don't get it.

They are too busy living in their little fantasy world to understand what the world will be like if any of those WT depictions are accurate.

Yup Let Jehovah take care of it.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Somewhat mind numbing, isn't it?

• blondie
    blondie

AND MANY ARE HAPPY TO SEE THIS HAPPEN TO 6.5 BILLION MEN, WOMEN, CHILDREN AND BABIES

• Spectre
    Spectre

I think it is all somewhat of an excuse for having zero ambition now.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..Why???..Because ..If they`re wrong..They`re all going to Hell!!..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• vomit
    vomit

Well people especially JWs like to "believe" in something that sounds ideological, they want to be able to take the higher moral ground. Whether they believe it or not is irrelevant. They will bind themselves with rules that they dont even like themselves, because it serves them to believe they are better than everybody else. Paradise and all that god crap is just for them to tell you how much better they are than you.

Men do it, but women tend to do it in groups, that is why they fall for that crap when it is presented door to door, I can never figure out if it is conscious or not.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

To me, it seems like a problem with feeling unworthy for heaven. Earth seems pretty do-able, I mean, here we are, and all we had to do was be born. Heaven requires work ( in the minds of many) and they will never be able to live up to those expectations. Earth is very appealing to the carnal and materialistic mind. Especially when they decline to use common sense and consider where the house, food, fabric, etc is going to come from. It seems more like joining a kibbutz than paradise to me. And my idea of a kibbutz is lots ow hard WORK. As in toiling. How is that different than being a farmer today? Just w/o the mortgage. And who knows, I imagine the WT would manage to get a cut somehow if they DID have it right:)

• vomit
    vomit

I never liked the idea of being in paradise as a child.

Kingdom hall picnics where the embodiment of hell on earth.

JW paradise:
    Live in houses in the same style of quakers.
    Except no sex.
    No "extreme" sports.
    No competition.
    Everybody drinking from the same river.
    Everybody had only 1 acre but yet there is scenery
    No science or engineering (How the hell do you melt iron to make hammers for all those quaker houses?)
    Eating only fruit and having "fellowship", does "fellowship" sound like something you can live in more than one day let alone forever.
    No pagan things left. One of the best things in this life is travel to other cultures. In paradice there is no other cultures. No pyramids of Egypt etc.
    Animals are only a certain amount of fun.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Vomit, (what a name! my son has been sick all day and it resounds especially strong with me today) Other than the extreme sport problem, I am so with you on paradise. The more one thinks of it, the more lame it seems.

And depending on ones understanding of this paradise, those provisionally resurrected ones would be dropping like flies-which has got to spoil the buzz of all that perfection just a tad, you think?

• vomit
    vomit

JWdaughter you actually raise a good point "depending on ones understanding"

True JWs dont even know how long why will be living in paradise or what tree they will be eating from. An elder even tried to explain to me as a child the difference of:Everlasting,Forever and Eternal

Do you know not all are the same lengths?
    I bring up the extreme sports, I was a bit of a dreamer and when I dreamed of paradise I would imagine I could jump off cliffs etc. and since I would have eternal life I could just get up and walk. I would dream of walking under the sea with out the need for oxygen or food. All of this was dashed when the same elder said that paradise wouldnt be like that and life eternal does not guarantee eternal life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit