Maybe it will upset them, maybe they will just discard...

by Crumpet 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

It is my parents wedding anniversary Saturday and every year since I left I have always sent them a card. I wondered whether I should or not this year. On balance I wasn't sure what would upset them more - waiting for a card that never came, or receiving a card at all, especially since I said in December that I wouldn't "bother" them anymore.

Anyway it felt right to send a card so I did and I decided to put a little note inside, folded and bearing the message: "My news, but don't read it if you aren't interested". It gives them that option to discard, which knowing them they will probably take. However my mother's curiosity knows no bounds and she will probably retrieve it.

There is no point in putting any questions about what they believe in there - it would be go straight up the chimney quicker than miracle on Moses. But I do feel the need to let them know that I am no longer living each day in abject despair. Obviously if they were normal parents they would be delighted about this, but since they are abnormal parents they will probably be deeply "saddened".

Anyway I kept it short:

"Just to let you know I moved house a couple of months ago. Aunty A and Uncle B are in contact regularly [My dad's non dub sister and hubby who will communicate by letter but are afraid to meet me as it may cause my father to start shunning them...sigh] and have my new address if you should need it. Mr C and I are still good friends - in fact we went to Barcelona for a week last month which was fantastic - what a lovely relaxing city it is!

"And my globe trotting doesn't stop there - I am off to Dallas, Texas in May for LT's wedding [they know him and his family well and knowing the gossip grapevine will be well aware of his infamous DAing and will be very surprised that I am in touch and in deed friends with him after all these years], which I am really excited about!

"I do hope you are all well and also that you are genuinely happy in your day to day lives and the choices you have made. That's all we can ask for and if happiness for you means excluding me then I am learning to respect that even though of course, naturally [I am the natural one, not them] it will always tinge my joys with sadness in not being able to share them with with you. Lots of love, nina".

It might make them cry, who knows? I tend to think they are long past that after a decade of putting the phone down on me as soon as they heard my voice...

• bernadette
    bernadette

Nina hugs to you.

Yoou have a loving heart and I can only imagine that your family have something of that too - one day maybe they will break the chain.

love

bernadette

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Oh, Crumpet, honey, you do not deserve such treatment, not by anyone, least of all your own parents!!! You are such a kind soul to send them information about you! I love you, Nina!!! I love you! You are a big sister to me!! You have no idea!!!

GGBG

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

You're a class act Nina.

No anguish, no recriminations, no attacks. Just a calm and friendly note.

I, for one, can't even imagine what you've had to deal with over the years since you left, but you keep on shining through!

tim

• Gill
    Gill

Nina - Well done for sending the card!

Best not to be as daft as your family, I believe. Eventually, in due time, a lot of JWs will wake up to their irrational behaviour as the WT Society is exposed gradually for what it really is. So, it's good to try to keep lines of communication open. Who know, but one day they might need you to help them.

Love

Gill

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

It is hard to say what "real" feelings will ever come through the hard DUB shell. I know it stinks for you, and I am so sorry Nina((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

• jinjam
    jinjam

If they have the slightest interest in their daughter,I hope they will read it!

((((((hugs))))))

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Oh, Crumpet, honey, you do not deserve such treatment, not by anyone, least of all your own parents!!! You are such a kind soul to send them information about you! I love you, Nina!!! I love you! You are a big sister to me!! You have no idea!!!

GGBG

Hey you - less of the BIG! I dont suppose you can get over to Dallas in May can you? I suppose its a bit far really. I've been reading your various posts about trying to get used to your new home. I am sorta feeling the same - out on a limb a bit, and I don't feel like where I live is really home yet, but I am sure if we both give it time we will make it our respective homes. And don't forget you have someone to hug at the end of the night I just have to hug myself and hold on til I get to Dallas where I anticipate sweaty hugs all round!

No anguish, no recriminations, no attacks. Just a calm and friendly note.

Timbo - and you know how out of character that is for me! LMAO! I appreciate all your kind comments guys. I was hoping to run it past you all yesterday before I sent but JWD was down so I am pleased I managed to get the right tone. I'll let you know if there is any response. I doubt it and I really don't want one to be honest. I just want them to know that their daughter continues to think of them especially at my high points when I'd love to show them who I am and what I have managed. It means so much that I can come here and get the kind of love and encouragement that I would love from my family. But hey if I did then you'd all miss out cause I probably wouldnt post here so much!

• Clam
    Clam

Heartbreaking. (((((Crumpet)))))

Clam

(who needs cheering up now )

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    who needs cheering up now )

Ahhhh Clam - don't be sad now! Honestly I am not sad at all. I am quite happy, really! Shall I start something fluffy to offset the down side?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit