What did 539 AD mean to Russell?

by glenster 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• glenster
    glenster

I've been writing down Russell's chronology (no, I don't believe a word of it). He had 539 AD to 1799 AD as 1,260 "days." 1799 AD (the Pope had to go to Napolean; the ability for the Papacy to persecute was waning) to 1914 AD was the End Times period. Where did he get 539 AD? What year did he calculate from and what was it supposed to mean?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

he added 1914 to 607 divided by the length times the width of the great pyramid in english inches divided by the cosmological constant = 539 +- .0825%

simple

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Q: What did 539 AD mean to Russell?

A: A $5.39 advertisement for the Golden Age?

• Kaput
    Kaput

The fall of the Ostrogothic monarchy occurred in 539 A.D. If you add 1,260 years to 539 it equals 1799, the beginning of the time of the end according to Russell. Just another "rabbit out of the hat".

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

I`ve been trying to figure that out myself. Are you sure about that, IP_SEC? Was that the whole thing about the pyramid inch? I thought it had something to do with an "important event" in church history, but I looked it up, and found nothing. The only thing marked under 539 in church history, is "Papal Temporal power". I have no idea what that means, or if it`s what Russell was referring to.

http://www.heraldmag.org/2006_history/06history_13.htm

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Russell and other Bible Students calculated the start of the Catholic church from 539 AD to 1799 AD when Napolean was said to have taken the Pope captive. Undoubtedly, they counted the 1260 days backwards to arrive at the 539 AD date as nothing significant in the Catholic church occurred. Many historians date the rise of the Catholic church to Pope Leo 1. (440-461 AD) "The stories about Leo's intercession with Attila the Hun and Gaiseric the Vandal king suggest that the pope could now perform imperial services at a time when the civil government was disintegrating." ( Eerdman's Handbook to the History of Christianity.)

• Terry
    Terry
    Pyramid inch....

This was an increment which DID NOT exist! It was an arbitrary length invented ad hoc to make certain measurements of passageways come out to specific dates. When the passageway did not cooperate the length was fudged or the passageway was changed with a hammer and chisel!! I kid you not.

• glenster
    glenster

Thanks! But where does 1,260 "days"/years come from?

• jillbedford
    jillbedford

The 1260 days is from Daniel 7:25 referring to time, times and a half time. The time is one year 360 days, the times is two years of 720 days and the half time is half a year or 180 days. This totals 1260 days. A Biblical month was 30 days.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

ok i forgot this one. but i remember that some jewish rabbi said something about the end of the world in 539A>D> then russell added 1260 years and lo and behold you get 1799 it's in studies in the scriptures. i think it on freeminds . about false prophecies. just more CRAPPOLA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit