Advice From Any Gardeners Out There

by Clam 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I'm looking to plant a new tree in my garden and wonder if there's anyone out there in JWD land who can give me some advice. The area is pretty sunny and quite sheltered although we do have strong winds around here in the winter. It also sometimes freezes.

There is a rich deep top soil and a clay substrate. Ideally the tree should be quite fast growing but will not exceed 30 feet. I don't want to plant conifers if I can help it. Any ideas?

As has been sugested, a Sorbus species (Rowan, Mountain-Ash, Wychwood) is an ok choice. There are numerous varieties with different berry and bark colors to choose from.

Also, there are numerous Magnolia species and cultivars in numerous colors that would fit the bill- Star Magnolia, Sweetbay Magnolia, Soulange Magnolia, and others too numerous to list here.

Golden-Chain tree (Laburnum species) would also make a nice choice. Their wisteria like, yellow blooms are spectacular, and green bark adds winter interest.

Golden Chain Tree 1-2 1/2'

Another unusual tree that would fit would be Dove Tree (Davidia involucrata)

Davidia involucrata subsp. vilmoriniana

Styrax species (Snowbell) are another unusual ornamental tree.

There are also many Prunus species (Cherries, Plums, Apricots, etc) of an ornamental nature that would fit your description.

Pyrus species (Pears) could also fit the bill.

Japanese Maples would almost fit the bill, except that they are slow growing.

If I were you, I'd check out a few sites that provide pictures, descriptions, climate, etc, to help you find what you are looking for.

Although US based, this nursery gives a lot of detail on the plants they offer:

http://www.forestfarm.com/search/gallery.asp

You can probably find a similar nursery across the pond.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Enjoy!

BA- Arboriculture is a hobby of mine.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Jeff,

Nice seasonal change it looks like in the Rowan. Is this tree available in the US anyone know?

Yes, here it is commonly known as "Mountain-Ash", however, to avoid confusion, it's always best to ask for Sorbus species, the scientific name, as there are many varieties and cultivars available.

BA

• Clam
    Clam

Restrangled I'll see if they do the Crimson King Maple in my local nurseries. Thanks.

Golf is that you? What happened?

Clam, I will have to come over the pond and see yours in few years, if that is what you decide.

Jeff - You'd be very welcome, and that's serious.

Brother Apostate you are indeed a man of many talents.

Thanks all,

Clam

• greendawn
    greendawn

I am not a gardener but whatever tree you plant you must be sure it won't in the future cause root damage to the house or reach the point that it will in which case it will have to get cut and thus wasted. It would also be nice if you can get a fruit tree that grows substantially and produces something useful eg as someone suggested a pear tree that grows tall not the short kind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit