Books that SHOULD be movies?

by gaiagirl 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I just finished reading "Mammoth" by John Varley. A sci-fi thriller in which a mammoth is found frozen in northern Alaska, along with the frozen bodies of a man and woman. However, as they are uncovered, it is seen that the man is wearing a wristwatch. The man in charge of the dig hires a brilliant but socially challenged young mathmetician to repair another artifact found with the bodies, which may hold the key to time travel. The identity of the man and woman, and how they came to be 15,000 years in the past is slowly revealed. I thought I had it figured out, but was surprised by the ending. I'd love to see this made into a movie.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I might just have to read that...or shall I just wait for the movie!!!

I read a lovely book about a world turning to water and elitism which could make a great movie called Exodus by Julie Bertagna. Its written for kids, but very relevant and beautifully written.

I'd also love to see one of my favourite books of all time turned into a movie Sally Beauman's Dark Angel - this book just totally had me in its thrall from beginning to end and is very very sexy.

I also think The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver could make a good movie although will never be as good as the book.

• V
    V

The Old Testament

Of course it would be rated NC-17 for sexual violence, but everyone loves a flick about ethnic cleansing and wanton executions from an insecure deity.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (How the West really was)

Into the Wild - the true story of a young man from an upper middle class family who was looking for himself and his place in life. He left home, burned his money and lived like a hobo. Then he headed into the Alaskan wilderness to "live off the land." He never made it back alive but his diary and photographs told his story.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

that sounds like a cool book gaia.

there are others, but one book that i always wanted turned into a movie is The Alchemist, by Paulo Cohelo.

tetra

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Megadude - I'm pretty sure Into The Wild is being made as a film at the moment. I agree it's an excellent story and hopefully will be a great film.
    Ironically I stumbled across that book while reading Jack London novels and mistyped Call of the Wild into Google. Londons books would make good films especially Hearts of Three.

When I was a teenager I loved the Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher. It was made into a series years ago on British TV but it wasn`t very good. I think it would make a good young adult sci-fi film.

• Gerard
    Gerard

The Hobbit.

• Gerard
  • betterdaze
    betterdaze

Crisis of Conscience

• needproof
    needproof

Crises of Conscience I agree with, maybe focus on a devout guy who realizes it's all a lie.

Also, the song of solomon!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit