Pyramid book by Smyth online from Morton Edgar's personal library

by cabasilas 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I was playing around with Internet Archive last night and found this interesting item: It's a scanned copy of "New Measures of the Great Pyramid" by Charles Piazzi Smyth published in 1884. He's the one who wrote "Our Inheritance in the Great Pyramid" which C.T. Russell relied on for his pyramid theories. (In fact, C.T. Russell even advertised the "Our Inheritance" book in the back of the first edition of "Thy Kingdom Come," Vol 3 of Millennial Dawn.

This other book by Smyth (which I'd never heard of before) is online at:

http://www.archive.org/details/newmeasuresofgre00smytiala

What's fascinating is it apparently was once in Morton Edgar's personal library and contains many handwritten notes by him in the margins. Morton Edgar published "Great Pyramid Passages" which he wrote with his brother, John Edgar, and which Russell also advertised and sold through the Society. The Edgars are mentioned in various Watchtower publications up until about 1924. John Edgar had been named by C.T. Russell in his will as a possible member of the Editorial Committee for the Watchtower magazine but John died before Russell did. Morton remained with the Watchtower Organization up until 1928 when Rutherford denounced pyramidology as a work of Satan.

Anyway, this is a fascinating item for history buffs.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

cabasilas

Thanks for sharing this interesting information. Russell accepted any theory that seemed to confirm his own teachings. I think his interest in the Zionist movement was for the same reason. He expected the return of Israel to the "promised land" as part of the "sign" of the last days. And the Zionists were the obvious group that was pushing for this very thing. Interestingly, he did not try to convert the Jews. But he saw them as part of God's plan.

• badboy
    badboy

I WONDER WHO ALLEN WARNER IS?

• badboy
    badboy

ON PAGE 110 IT MENTIONS 1874 AND 1914

• badboy
    badboy

PAGE 108 MENTIONES RUTHERFORD IN A NOTE.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Great find, cabasilas, and nice catch, badboy. Smyth notes in 1883 that there was already a book called The Origin and Significance of the Great Pyramid by C. Staniland Wake (London: Reeves & Turner, 1882) that claims that the Great Pyramid is not "an altar to the Lord in the land of Egypt" but rather "a grand temple erected to the devil". Morton Edgar then gave the following marginal note in response to this:

So that "Judge" Rutherford of the "Watch Tower & Bible Society" of London & Brooklyn is not the originator of this claim that the Great Pyramid is of the devil! "Judge" Rutherford was (he died in 1942) the president of the W.T. Society of which the late Pastor Charles T. Russell (who died in 1916) was the founder. Pastor Russell thoroughly believed with Prof. C. P. Smyth in the Divine origin of the Great Pyramid. "Judge" Rutherford had nothing in common with Pastor Russell, but was an opponent of the truth.

It will be quite interesting poring through the marginal notes...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Morton Edgar, btw, died on 6 February 1950.

• badboy
    badboy

leololia,IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT THE NOTES WHICH I CAN'T EXACLYREAD SAY.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Cabasilas:

Excellent! Bloody-good-show!

Thank you Sir!

Atlantis-

• VM44
    VM44

This is a great find Cabasilas!

Here is the direct link for downloading the DJVU version of the book:

http://ia340932.us.archive.org/3/items/newmeasuresofgre00smytiala/newmeasuresofgre00smytiala.djvu

The DJVU version of the book takes up less space than the PDF version.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit