Multiple witness question

by Rethinking 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rethinking
    Rethinking

Hello all.

I read a post on the forum about the two-witness rule and how without it, basically an accusation cannot stand. Could someone, preferably elders/ former elders explain in detail why it doesn't stand if that is true? I know why for obvious reasons, but we're talking about how it works in Witness World. And not an accusation relating to molestation. An accusation that is made because someone in the congo is pissed off at someone else and wants revenge.

Thank You.

RT

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This is from the elders manual:

What kind of evidence is acceptable?
    There must be two or three eyewitnesses, not just persons
    repeating what they have heard; no action can be taken if
    there is only one witness. (Deut. 19:15;Jol1ll 8:17)

Confession (admission of wrongdoing), either written or
    oral, may be accepted as conclusive proof without other
    corroborating evidence. (Josh. 7:19)

Strong circumstantial evidence, such as pregnancy or evi-
    dence (testified to by at least two witnesses) that the
    accused stayed all night in the same house with a person of
    the opposite sex (or in the same house with a known
    homosexual ) under improper circumstances, is acceptable.

The testimony of youths may be considered; it is up to
    the elders to determine if the testimony has the ring of
    truth.

The testimony of unbelievers may also be considered, but
    it must be carefully weighed.

If there are two or three witnesses to the same kind of
    wrongdoing but each one is witness to a separate incident,
    their testimony can be considered.

Such evidence may be used to establish guilt, but it is
    preferable to have two witnesses to the same occurrence
    of wrongdoing.

This is clear. No accusation of one person will cause a DF or reproof, unless the party confesses.
    If he denies an accusation from one person, there will possibly still be a Judicial Committee, counsel
    will take place, then the charges will be dismissed. If the 2 elders investigating don't think he did it, or
    are sure that no confession will take place, they often recommend no JC even be formed.

It's like- except for apostacy, the elders want to know that the person is guilty before a JC is formed, then
    they can make him decide to be repentant or booted out. For apostacy, they hope the JC itself will cause the
    person to confess, turn around and repent, or get out of the congregation.

There are actual cases of a fornicator confessing, but the party they fornicated with denying it took place.
    So one gets reproof or DF, while the charges in the other case are dropped for lack of 2 witnesses.
    Keep in mind that it is POSSIBLE for someone to lie in this case to get revenge, so the rules stand.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

It seems that "strong circumstantial evidence" is grounds for judicial action to be taken even though the act is not witnessed by "two or three." Yet, the same evidence is dismissed in the cases of child abuse because it lacks "two or three witnesses" who observed the act. Talk about a double standard!

• Rethinking
    Rethinking

Thanks On The Way, that info. was most helpful.

It seems however, that if someone even an elder wanted to, they could get a couple of their publisher pals together to be "witnesses" against someone else. Doesn't seem right, but alas I say again, this is in Witness World.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    they could get a couple of their publisher pals together to be "witnesses" against someone else

I would say that your average publishers will not lie to help an elder wrongfully convict in most cases.
    However, I could see elders asking each other to corroborate "Apostacy" for the good of the congregation.

It would go like this:
    "Brother OTWO is clearly apostate now, didn't you say he disbelieves our Governing Body?"

"I said he doubts the doctrines."

"We have to protect the flock. I will say I heard him deny the doctrine if you will"

"It would make things easier. Okay."

• jgnat
    jgnat

Injustices occur when "theocractic" judicial bodies rely on the bible alone for jurisprudence. The court system has spent a lot of time since bible times searching out loopholes and inequities and resolving them. For instance:

1. A general principle is that the accused has the right to face his accuser. The Witnesses don't follow that. Elders will take judicial action without ever naming the accuser.
    2. Regardless of the general principle, it has been granted that children are vulnerable, and can be intimidated in to covering up abuse. So in that exception, videotaped testimony from children is accepted. Also, two witnesses are not expected, as this sort of abuse happens in secret. The Witnesses don't follow either of those.
    3. There can not be fairness if judicial action is in private. The courts are public, and anyone can follow the proceedings. This keeps judges honest. The Witnesses don't even follow bible practice in this case, where the judges made their decision in public, at the gate to the town. With the witnesses, there are a LOT of bullies behind closed doors.
    4. The accused has the right to bring along a representative (lawyer) to help him with his defence. The elders refuse this protection. It's always a three-to-one against.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit