Night Rider

by LittleToe 22 Replies latest social physical

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Well that was an interesting journey! I just got home after riding home from a friend's house, where I'd been helping them with a little decorating. It is a clear and beautiful night, so I thought I would open her up a little, but neglected to look at the speedo...

...until I hit a short piece of undulating piece of road and found the front wheel wobbling. Riding at over a ton (100mph) in the dark with your front headlamp waggling from one side of the road to the other is a little disconcerting to say the least.

Ah well, nothing a little easing off of the speed couldn't fix.

I know there are a few bikers on the forum. Any of y'all had some hair-raisers and/or near misses?

• frozen one
    frozen one

Riding a ton (never heard that one but will start using) after dark is, how should I put this, bloody reckless (thought I would toss in a little Brit lingo). I would hate to hear you got in a wreck because you overdrove your headlamp. I've been there though so I'm not preaching. It is a rush.

Most of my near misses have involved cages being driven by boneheads. Animals running across the road have gotten the old heart pounding a few times also.

Put the battery in the bike a couple of days ago and fired it off. Too cold and wet to ride here at the moment. Freezing rain coming down as I write this but I'll be back on the road soon enough.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Fortunately it was a straight and empty piece of road, with fences either side to keep the wildlife out, otherwise I wouldn't have opened her up. But I agree, it was bl**dy reckless...

The nearest thing that has got my heart pumping as much was hitting a greasy piece of road

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I often rode my bike home well after midnight when there were no cops around.

It was always a very 'quick' trip, taking a few shortcuts and using all of the road. The only vehicle I ever used to come across was the milkman's truck, which could be anywhere on my route.

One night I was barreling through the tightest corner, keeping an eye out for the milkman, and the headlamp went out.

He wasn't there.

Whew.

Chris

• Kudra
    Kudra

I was riding my bicycle down the street and a car opened its door a split second before I passed, nailed me in the shoulder, tossed me off the bike onto some trolley tracks and bent the fork of my bike back. The wheel was also ruined.

I was ok except for my arm in a sling for a week. I think I was lucky, I could have been tossed under the wheels of a car.

...and the guy who "doored" me asked me to go out on a bike ride with him a few days later...

wtf??

• Mystla
    Mystla

My brother had a dog run out in front of him while he was taking a corner at a "high rate of speed" (he never did say how fast) He laid is bike down and went for a slide.. walked out of it and only later realized his ankle was broken.

My dad has a couple of biker stories that would make your butt pucker... but they would take a while to write out.. and he tells it so much better than I do. The best one involves someone not hooking up his brake line..

My best "aw shit" story is in a car, so I'm not sure it counts.. but I was doing about 55mph when I realized I was on solid black ice.. I don't think I took a single breath for at least two miles.. cars off to the left.. more off to the right.. just keep goin.. don't hit the brakes, don't shift..don't breath... (I was only doing 55 because I was being cautious on a cold night)

Misty

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Riding at over a ton (100mph) in the dark with your front headlamp waggling from one side of the road to the other is a little disconcerting to say the least.

So you put on a little weight since I last saw you then?

How the heck can you do 100mph - surely after a couple of minutes you end up in the sea?

I am glad it got your heart pumping - but I will be mighty peeved if I have to go out to Dallas and marry Xena instead of you ... well actually there's a plan! LOL! Seriously be careful. Clearly you had better weather up there - its rained and been dull for two days now!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Its surprising how quickly accidents can happen, even if you're not doing something ridiculous. Add "stupid" into the pot and you greatly increase your chances of taking a spill or worse. I confess, I had a "stupid" moment.

Its another beautiful day in Zamunda... I'm off out on the bike again

Crumpet:When you come visit I'll show you

• deeskis
    deeskis

LT............Our man on the scene took pics............

I see the shock of it all turned yer hair snowy!

• Gadget
    Gadget
    Any of y'all had some hair-raisers and/or near misses?

Jeez, where do I start?

The scariest was when I'd been out for a long run, about 2-300 miles and was coming back over hartside pass, one of the best biking roads in the UK. I was taking it steady because I was getting close to home, but someone on a R6 came flying round the corner towards me and passed me on the wrong side between me and the hedge! It really got my brown adrenalin flowing.......

The first time I took Claire out on the back I was braking hard for a corner and she started sliding down the pillion seat towards me. To stop herself she gripped me with her thighs, but that distracted me a bit and nearly forget to turn the bend!

The most risky thing I've ever done was on the long run mentioned above. I was feeling really up for it and went for a long ride. I managed to get from ponteland, up to Jedburgh, across to Galashiels, and down to Carlisle in 1hr55min. Thats 130 miles along twisty country roads.......

I don't ride as much now because I've got so many other things I need to do, so I'm much calmer when I go out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit